Re: MD secular humanism and DQ and self-help ideas

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 19:39:20 BST

    Hi Matt

    Good points here, you are right about Marx's views
    on capitalism. By the way did nice Dewey
    essay in Philosophy Now this month about his love letters
    and their relationship to his philosophy. Also an essay
    about virtue, morality and self help books. Subjects discussed:
    self-knowledge, love, self-love, adventurousness, selfishness, rationality,
    self-interest, friendliness, openness, responsibility, discipline, courage,
    wisdom, imagination, reverence, self-acceptance, devotion, intensity,
    emotional expression, depth, forcefulness, wonder, flexibility,
    organisation,
    honesty, sense of humour, freedom, spontaneity, ...apparently different
    self-help books esteem all these different qualities, a sort of soulfulness
    or
    soul-science, something we are otherwise missing/seeking I guess.
    Any thoughts on self-help books folks?

    I wonder how we look at these values from MOQ perspective.

    regards
    David M