RE: MD The Individual Level

From: storeyd (storeyd@bc.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 04:32:15 BST

    Just to add in here: the lower levels are foundational, or fundamental, as
    wilber claims, they are universal and necessary, but they are partial,
    especially in their freedom. higher levels can do more than lower levels,
    they have more posssibilities. and that makes them more significant, more
    conscious, because they can free up and actualize possibilties latent in lower
    levels that those levels COULD NEVER DO BY THEMSELVES. this is the difference
    between actualization and domination. for example, when I sit here writing,
    with the intent of inspiring understanding between our separate minds, all the
    social patterns (the language we use, the technology with which we convey and
    express it), all the biological patterns (the bodies which use the tools), and
    the inorganic patterns (the material stuff out of which the bodies and the
    tools are made), I am freeing all of these lower levels up to do things they
    could never do alone, and so this act, on the intellectual level, is a
    creative addition to those lower levels, another level to the tower of
    development. however, domination is when a higher level of developmemt usurps
    the lower levels for its own purposes, it severs itself from those lower
    levels by denying their reality, which basically means blowing up the levels
    beneath you (for example, the view of biological determinism, which is a
    product of the intellectual level, says that all human experience is reducible
    to biological mechanisms, which is not only a lower level of quality, but a
    performative contradiction. it's an abuse of the intellectual powers that the
    inorganic, organic, and social levels possibilize. this is the "tax" that
    reason has to pay for its speculations, but most modern debtors refuse to pay
    because they do not believe in the cosmic IRS. So Steve, it's not a question
    of which patterns are more dominant, but which are more prominent. What, very
    simply, are their patterns of behavior? A heady intellectual who neglects
    both his bodily health and his social relationships and responsibilities is
    just as if not less low quality than a person who is nasty towards
    intellectuals. it's not so much about what level you're at as it is about
    WHAT YOUR RELATIONSHIP TO THAT LEVEL AND ALL OTHER LEVELS IS. because you
    see, once you realize that the name of this game is not about domination
    (which is the m.o. of SOM, dominating reality, truth, nature, the other,
    etc.), then development can resume. if not, then we have a case of arrested
    development.

    Idea for a discussion topic: the relation of the MOQ to
    psychology/psychoanalysis, especially in terms of pathology, neurotic fixation
    (as the dominance of any particular static-level). Any thoughts? I find it
    interesting that there are, crudely, three main approaches: depth psychology
    (prepersonal, prerational, deals witht the past), ego psychology (personal,
    rationally oriented, live for the present, etc.), and transpersonal psychology
    (transrational, deals with future potentials, realsm beyond the intellectual
    level); note too that these three forms correlate with our threefold
    experience of the structure of time as well. furthermore, the unfolding of
    these three fields, historically speaking, is perfectly chronologcial. Depth
    was all about Freud, then Jung, etc.; Ego began with anna freud alter; and
    transpersonal began in the 70s in the united s,tates, and is still in its
    infantile stages. This is encouraging, because it suggests that there is a
    progressive movement to psychology in general. it's also thought provoking to
    look at this geographically as well. Depth psyche began in Europe, and still
    holds sway (breeding such outrageous theorists as jacques lacan), while ego
    psyche really caught hold, and continues to dominate, in the States. However,
    anomalies within ego psychology and rationality in general lead to the
    emergence of transpersonal psyche, found, of course, on the west coast in
    california, where it continues to expand and diversify as we speak. This
    dovetails well with Pirsig's commentary about the difference between
    euro/victorian culture and the US/american indian motif, the derivation of the
    new values, etc., where we see that western culture, at it end in the west,
    reaches and reunites with its own repressed self, the ancient wisdom stuff.
    this is a treasure trove of discussion material. any takers?
    -Dave