MD Patterns

From: Steve Peterson (peterson.steve@verizon.net)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 17:04:04 BST

    Hi All,

    I want to try to give a better idea of what I mean by a pattern which I
    think is also what Pirsig may mean by a pattern.

    First of all, I see two perspectives that need to be understood and
    reconciled in explaining the MOQ. The primary one which is empirical
    is the perspective represented by the equation Quality = Experience.
    The second perspective is represented by Quality = Reality. The
    equating of Quality and Reality is not empirical to the extent that we
    don't simply mean "Experience" when we say "Reality," but rather
    Quality = Reality is an evolutionary theory. (In the MOQ Experience
    also equals Reality but this is a postulate used to understand reality
    rather than empirically based.) The difference between the two
    perspectives is experiencing a value pattern such as gravity directly
    as a pulling down on one's body (Quality = Experience) versus
    experiencing gravity as the pattern of experience or inference where we
    recognize that all things around us are pulled to the ground, too
    (Quality = Reality). Here I intend to focus on the evolutionary
    perspective of understanding Reality in terms of Quality.

    I'll begin by putting Quality aside for now to focus on what a pattern
    is. I think that understanding reality in terms of patterns rather
    than in terms of substance and mind is an idea that one can use
    regardless of whether or not one accepts Pirsig's Reality = Quality
    postulate. I think that there are philosophers out there who consider
    themselves "patternists" though I couldn't name any. At any rate, I'd
    like to show what I mean by viewing reality (sq) in terms of patterns
    and then show how Quality explains patterns to give a more complete
    picture of Reality. In other words, a patterns view does not require a
    metaphysical grounding but certainly benefits from a grounding in
    Quality.

    The clearest example that I might come up with for what I mean by a
    pattern is a river. If we try to define a river in terms of substance,
    "you can't step into the same river twice," but as a pattern, a river
    has a fairly stable existence with a recognizable structure. It's
    flowing "changingness" is even part of that structure, so it is without
    contradiction that we can call a river a "static pattern" even though a
    river flows. A river is not as stable as the patterns of molecules
    that we call rocks in some ways since we can move a rock to another
    location and all it's recognized properties will be maintained, but a
    river is more stable than a rock in other ways since forces that can
    break a rock into pebbles may only temporarily disrupt a river or
    divert its course. The rock better fits the concept of substance and
    is more real than a river in a substance-based metaphysics, but it is
    not more real than the rock in a pattern-based metaphysics. Using a
    patterns approach to reality, we might say that the rock is more stable
    but the river is more versatile, though relative to higher level
    patterns both are very stable and not very versatile.

    Patterns can have far weaker correlations with substance than a river
    does. We can think of gravity as a pattern though gravity has
    virtually no properties associated with substance. There are different
    ways in which we can do so. As a pattern of behavior of physical
    objects (which are themselves inorganic patterns), gravity is an
    inorganic pattern. As a symbol standing for this inorganic pattern in
    thought and communication, "gravity" is a social structure which is
    used in structures of thought. Structures of thought which we call
    ideas are recognized in the MOQ as intellectual patterns. So, a
    pattern-based metaphysics has no difficulty containing the forces
    described by physics nor the patterns of thought which are not
    influenced in the least by those forces.

    Platt didn't like the idea of thinking of a person as a pattern, but
    physically a person's atoms are exchanged with other atoms constantly
    while the pattern of arrangement of his cells is fairly stable. In
    Heraclitus' view, we never interact with the same person twice. But the
    pattern of a given person persists despite the ongoing exchanging of
    atoms and despite changes associated with the biological patterns of
    growing or aging and despite changes in the patterns of behavior
    identifiable as participation in social roles and despite changing
    patterns of thought. Despite all these changes, there is a structure
    called a person that persists as the river persists in spite of its
    flowing nature or changes in it's course. And like the river, our
    concept of a person includes the changes I've described above. Lack of
    change in the pattern of a person means death.

    (When Pirsig uses the phrase "static pattern" I don't think that he
    means to exclude change or to associate change with Dynamic Quality. I
    think the word static is used simply to distinguish static and Dynamic
    Quality and to associate static Quality with patterns, but "static
    patterns" may be redundant since I see patterns as static only in the
    sense that they are patterns. They represent structures or
    relationships that can include change as a river is constantly flowing,
    yet these structures are static in the sense that the patterns of flow
    persist over time.)

    Up to this point I've talked about patterns with minimal reference to
    Quality in part to point out that an introduction to the MOQ can begin
    with an explanation of the four types of patterns rather than the
    metaphysical postulate of Quality. (I would also recommend that in
    trying to explain the MOQ to someone who has not read Pirsig that
    patterns may be the best place to start.) But once one does postulate
    that Quality = Reality, the types of static patterns become even more
    powerful in explaining reality because one can then understand how
    values and much of mind can also be understood in terms of patterns and
    how types of patterns can be examined in light of knowledge of the
    direction of the evolutionary arrow to identify moral and immoral human
    behavior. This is because all the structures I've discussed can be
    understood as value relationships.

    As Pirsig demonstrated, a cause and effect relationship like A causes B
    can be just as sensibly reworded as B values precondition A. The
    pattern of gravity for example can be thought of as a preference that
    is extremely reliable like the pattern of me ordering General Tso's
    Chicken whenever he goes out to a Chinese restaurant (i.e. the pattern
    of preference for chicken is part of the collection of patterns that
    constitute me). So patterns are maintained as valuations. Thus, all
    patterns are really patterns of value.

    I don't know whether what I have said will be controversial or seem too
    obvious to have been said. I'm interested in your thoughts.

    "If you compare the levels of static patterns that compose a human
    being to

    the ecology of a forest, and if you see the different patterns
    sometimes in

    competition with each other, sometimes in symbiotic support of each
    other,

    but always in a kind of tension that will shift one way or the other,

    depending on evolving circumstances, then you can also see that
    evolution

    doesn't take place only within societies, it takes place within
    individuals

    too. It's possible to see Lila as something much greater than a
    customary

    sociological or anthropological description would have her be. Lila then

    becomes a complex ecology of patterns moving toward Dynamic
    Quality. Lila

    individually, herself, is in an evolutionary battle against the static

    patterns of her own life....And Lila's battle is everybody's battle,
    you know?"