RE: MD Morality of deadly force

From: InfoPro Consulting: Mark Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 22:43:45 BST

    Sorry, David. This one slipped by me somehow.

    On 8 May 2004 at 14:43, David Buchanan wrote:

            "But one day in the classroom the professor of philosophy was
    blithely expounding on the illusory nature of the world for
    what seemed the fiftieth time and Phaedrus raised his hand and asked
    coldly if it was believed that the atomic bombs that had
    dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were illusory. The professor
    smiled and said yes. That was the end of the exchange."
    (ZMM-PB, Page 126)

    dmb said:
    This is one of my favorite "scenes" in ZAMM. It's so very cinematic,
    don't you think? Blithely expounding and coldly asking. If I were the
    director Imight even intercut a couple of mushroom clouds and the
    burning flesh of Japanese women and children just before the
    professor says "yes".

    msh says
    Hey, sounds great! Why don't you make it? It's a shame that a movie
    version of ZMM never quite came around, even if, as Redford says in
    Lila, Pirsig wouldn't like it. If even only a few of the ideas came
    across cinematically, that would be something. And a more people
    would be exposed to them.
    :
    dmb said:
    As I read it, young Phaedrus is giving up because he's disgusted by
    the professor's lack of moral outrage.

    msh says:
    Sure that's part of it. But if you read on he says something like,
    Well that sort of philosophy is fine for some people, people who
    don't read books and newspapers, and have little to do with the daily
    world. But for anyone who cares about massive human suffering, it's
    woefully inadequate... I don't have the book in front of me. so
    can't quote exactly, sorry. The point is, he's rejecting the
    philosophy, bath water and baby both.

    dmb says:
    On another note, it seems to me that Pirsig would certainly endorse
    the efforts of the Democracies to defeat fascism during WW2, I don't
    think he's endorsing or defending the bombing of Nagasaki or
    Hiroshima. Quite the opposite. One can support the cause and deplore
    the tactics without contradiction.

    msh says:
    Yes. I agree. Of all wars I've studied, WWII comes closest to
    having a solid moral justification. But there were lots of things
    happening in the ten years or so prior to Pearl Harbor, tremendous
    economic pressure on Japan via oil embargos, for example, that fueled
    the runup to the attack, which didn't just come out of the blue.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the terrible brutality and
    aggression of the Japanese forces; I'm just saying it wasn't like
    "Wow! Now why'd they go and attack us! (palm slap to forehead).
    We're just sitting here minding our own business!"

    Also, American business was closely linked to German business during
    this period, you know, guys like Henry Ford and Hitler and their
    mutual admiration society. It's not like no one knew about the
    extermination camps till 1941, for heaven sakes. And even then,
    Germany declared war on the US, first. So, my point is, start
    checking your DQ if someone tells you you're going to war for human
    rights.

    Best,
    Mark Heyman