Re: MD quality religion (Christianity)

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 22:41:46 BST

    Dear David B.,

    If that stat is true (59% of Americans believing Revelations to be a
    reliable and literal prediction of global events in the near future), the
    problem is not who leads your nation and how he frames foreign policy
    issues. A better president wouldn't have much room for manoeuvre in any
    other direction. The problem would not even be with one political party. No
    political party can ignore that many voters.
    The problem then is the irrationality of the average American and the danger
    of democracy in such a country.
    Tell me: how irrational are you Americans really? This 59% must magnify that
    problem of irrationality dominating American thinking, doesn't it? If it
    would be true, you would have to be able to tell me a lot more statistics of
    irrational behaviour by Americans. (People trying to go through the eye of a
    needle maybe...?) Or are Americans projecting their irrationality only on
    foreign policy and do they behave rationally in most other realms of life??
    How does that stat square to Wilber's percentages of people on different
    levels of consciousness that we have been discussing before? (See
    wilber.shambhala.com/html/interviews/interview1220.cfm/xid,6587424/yid,88470
    152 for those who didn't follow that earlier discussion.)

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim