Re: MD Morality of deadly force

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 04:54:58 BST

    Hi Platt, DMB, and all,

    Platt, thanks for your feedback re my analyses of Pirsig quotes 2 and
    3. I'll address your points for both analyses below. Then we can go
    another round if you like.

    After my detailed analysis of Pirsig Q2-2, revealing among other
    things Pirsig's contention that capital punishment is morally wrong,
    except perhaps for traitors during wartime (a notion I'll accept for
    the purposes of this argument, asking only that the reader keep in
    mind the fact that one man's traitor is another man's patriot),
    Platt responded with...

    ph said:
    Here Pirsig makes a clear distinction between the morality of war in
    which social levels are in conflict to the morality of how a social
    level ought to treat individual criminals in its midst. Note Pirsig's
    emphasis in making the transition from talking about societies in
    conflict with one another to an individual in conflict with society
    by identifying what he's talking about as "individual criminals," "a
    criminal," a "defective unit of society," and "a human being." In
    other words and in broader terms, Pirsig makes a transition from the
    morality of war to the morality of capital punishment, illustrating
    the moral difference between biological vs.social values and social
    vs.intellectual values.

    msh says:
    I see nothing to argue with here because you make no substantive
    statement. Based on your reading, do you think Pirsig accepts
    capital punishment of individual criminals as moral? It's not
    possible to tell from your response.

    msh said:
    ...If a nation violates, suppresses, destroys, or in any other way
    impedes or diminishes even a single person's chance for equality with
    his fellow beings, it is MORALLY IMPERATIVE that
    that corrupted nation be destroyed. Tough but true words, I think.

    ph said:
    Also, I commented on this in a previous post, saying your idea was
    moral justification for invading Iraq. You responded that the U.S.
    doesn't want to establish a democracy in Iraq. Suggest we discuss
    this further in a separate post.

    msh says:
    At best, the only morally justified action is that the people of Iraq
    be allowed to shape their society and culture in any way they see
    fit, not just as seen fit by the US government. That is, when I
    speak of a corrupted society being destroyed, I mean destroyed, in
    the sense of dramatically altered, FROM WITHIN, by the people who
    live in that society. I think Pirsig would argue that a heavy burden
    of proof of the need for societal self-defense rests on the
    preemptively attacking society. As we've seen, in the case of Iraq,
    nothing even approximating any such proof has been presenting.

    RE PIRSIG QUOTE 3

    > Pirsig Quote 3A (LILA-HC, Page 300)
    > Pirsig Idea Q3A-1) "In the battle of society against biology, the
    > new twentieth-century intellectuals have taken biology's side.
    >
    > msh:
    > I'm afraid this idea is too vague for me to know whether or not I
    > agree with it. I can understand how someone might take biology's
    > side over society, but Who are these new intellectuals, and what
    > are their ideas? Pirsig doesn't say. And what is an intellectual
    > anyway? Someone with a Ph.D.? Or just anyone who reads and
    > discusses and thinks, and tries to provide support for his ideas?
    > Or is it just anyone who thinks, which means everyone?

    ph said:
    DMB had an excellent answer to your questions in his post of 10 May
    in which he referred to chapters 21 and 22 and "lots of names on page
    274."

    msh says:
    Yes, thanks to both of you for this reference. But all I see listed
    are names of a few individuals whose ideas contributed to the
    formulation of the domestic policy known as The New Deal. Where does

    Pirsig argue that The New Deal was bad for society? Or that it
    somehow is a demonstration of how IDEAS are trying to directly
    control BIOLOGY. I mean, people's lives were so dramatically
    improved by The New Deal that FDR was clearly the most popular
    American president EVER. And this was during a time when popularity
    was determined, mostly, by the effect you had on people's day-to-day
    lives, not by how much money you had to spend on TV attack ads.

    msh continued:
    Pirsig Idea Q3A-2) Society can handle biology alone by means of
    prisons and guns and police and the military.

    msh said:
    Sure, we can turn society loose on biology; there are countless
    examples of this. Nazi society handled biology, as did Pol Pot and
    his regime. American society has handled its biological "criminals"
    in a variety of ways as well, many of them difficult to square with
    ANY interpretation of the MOQ's moral hierarchy, from killing
    strikers and imprisoning war protesters, to turning dogs loose on
    civil rights workers, to stifling, even outlawing any ideas critical
    of such actions.

    ph said:
    Nowhere do I find Pirsig condoning turning "society loose on
    biology."

    msh says:
    No, but YOU do.

    msh said:
    Pirsig is well aware of this, as DMB has pointed out in an earlier
    post, which is why he emphasizes the importance of the intellectual
    level. I paste Pirsig from dmb's message:

     "A culture that supports the dominance of social values over
    biological values is an absolutely superior culture to one that does
    not, and a culture that supports the dominance of intellectual values
    over social values is absolutely superior to one that does not."

    ph said:
    Good point. A society in which the intellectual values of free
    speech, trial by jury, protection of property rights and individual
    freedom is undoubtedly superior to totalitarian societies ruled by
    fascists or communists.

    msh says:
    Agreed. Although I'm always tickled by how "property rights" get
    tossed into the equation. There's some interesting history here
    How did "property" come to have rights? Somehow, "the pursuit of
    happiness" gets transformed into "the right to own property, no
    matter what..." Anyway, lemme know when you find such a society,
    free of fascist thought, and we can talk about it.

    ph said:
    America is not without fault in either making laws or enforcing them.
    But, if you're suggesting America is no better than Nazi Germany or
    Pol Pot's regime as you seem to do by putting them side by side in a
    negative context in the same paragraph, I seriously question your
    judgment.

    msh says:
    You're right. This was sloppy writing on my part. I should have
    connected the dots. Pol Pot's Killing Fields were being bloodied at
    roughly the same time as another genocide was taking place:
    Indonesia's annexation of East Timor resulted in the extermination
    and displacement of something like 85% of the population, a relative
    proportion far worse than Pol Pot.

    This murderous action was carried out with the full knowledge and
    support of the US government, including military training, weapons,
    and covert logistical support. An ancillary and revealing point here
    is that US commercial media coverage of events in East Timor was
    virtually non-existent, while Pol Pot made the headlines, day after
    day after day. FYI, this is demonstrated graphically and
    indisputably in Manufacturing Consent. BTW, because the authors of
    MC pointed out this simple fact of extremely unbalanced coverage,
    they are often reviled, even to the point of being called supports of
    Pol Pot.

    And this is just one example of American support for and/or direct
    involvement in atrocities against defenseless others. I'll be happy
    to provide a list to anyone who's interested enough to email me
    directly. It's true that the US government has never attempted
    genocide with regard to it's own people, if we forget Native
    Americans, of course, a pretty ponderous forgetting, IMO. However,
    unless your interpretation of the MOQ somehow entails that American
    human animals are of higher value than non-American human animals,
    it's impossible to see how such activity might be regarded as moral
    in ANYONE'S metaphysics.

    > Pirsig Quote 3B (LILA-HC, Page 310)
    > Pirsig Idea Q3B-1) "The idea that biological crimes can be ended by
    > intellect alone, that you can talk crime to death, doesn't work."
    >
    > msh:
    > Agreed. But who says it does?

    ph said:
    A lot of people, including Neville Chamberlain, Jimmy Carter and John
    Kerry.

    msh says:
    Can't comment without textual support. Sorry. I'd be very surprised
    if any of these people thought you can talk crime to death. Carter
    was president during the slaughter in East Timor, and did nothing to
    stop it. John Kerry happily supported the attack against Iraq, and
    wants to send more troops even now.

    ph said:
    Those "oversimple, out-of-context, and incomplete ideas" have
    prompted quite a lengthy response from you, suggesting they weren't
    so butchered after all. You understood them perfectly well.

    msh says:
    I apologize for the subtle deprecation in my tone. It wasn't
    warranted, as the overall tenor of our exchanges has improved
    tremendously. However, it's clear that the quotes were out of
    context and incomplete. My understanding of them is a result of
    lotsa backreading and analysis.

    ph said:
    In any case,thanks for giving us the opportunity to become familiar
    with your worldview as it applies to specifics of the MOQ.

    msh says:
    Same here. Thanks.

    Mark Heyman
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." --
    Henri Poincare'