Re: MD quality religion (Christianity)

From: Ascmjk@aol.com
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 22:55:28 BST

    In a message dated 5/24/2004 2:48:45 PM Central Standard Time,
    markheyman@infoproconsulting.com writes:
    The weight of your
    argument rests on the similarities which, I would say, are
    insubstantial. The historical purpose of the American Revolution was
    to replace a British elite ruling class with an American elite ruling
    class. Though, I'm sure, many colonists perceived the outcome of the
    revolution as an increase in their freedom, there were many more who
    recognized it for what it was, a kind of shifting of the yoke.
    Thus, Shay's Rebellion, etc. Still, IMO, the AR was a moral step
    forward. Discounting the rhetoric, I see nothing similar in the
    motives behind the invasion of Iraq.
    JON:
    What I'm saying is that there are abstract truths which can be reasonably
    extrapolated from both the American Revolution and Iraqi Freedom. Ideas, ideals.
    You don't have to have the same motive as someone else to strive for the same
    goal, and you can both have differing visions of what that particular goal
    will be like. Examples abound. Democracies can be different, certainly (they can
    be constitutional monarchies, federal republics, parliamentary systems, etc.).
    True realism requires a dose of idealism and optimism or you become
    immobilized.

    As you say, the AR was a moral step forward. I contend that eventually Iraqi
    Freedom will be seen as such a step. You seem to disagree, but it's too early
    to say for sure IMO. Anyway, thanks for responding.
    Jon (P.S. about people having a voice in the U.S. government. Things seem to
    be getting better all the time. Securing the structure of a given government
    has to take priority over letting everyone "move in" all at once, or risk the
    whole thing collapsing. The fragility of the American government in its first
    few years can't be overstated, and so many people predicted it would fail
    [George Washington himself often worried it wouldn't last] that I liken it to a
    miracle baby. Similar pessimism exists today regarding the Iraqi Experiment. You
    find these similarities inconsequential, but I find them compelling. Women and
    minorities were indeed unfairly left out at first, but today they have the
    right to vote. Also, at least 29 states have what's knows as legislative
    initiative, where individual citizens can introduce legislation that can become laws.)