Re: MD Ronald Reagan

From: Adam Watt (adamwatt@mac.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 00:51:13 BST

    Hello Platt!

    Poor.. My beliefs are not challenged in the slightest by what's below.
    It doesn't even make sense. You might find Limbaugh to be better
    quality then Chomsky, but I see no support for that in this post. At
    all. Or anywhere else really. I find it absolutely comical that you can
    even compare a rabid right wing commentator with a man frequently
    described as one of the worlds leading intellectuals. Are you aware,
    politics aside, of Chomskys contribution to the field of Linguistics? I
    guess not. Because you haven't read his work, and stubbornly refuse to
    even try. Despite others, Wim, to his credit asking you in the most
    polite terms. And yet you still go on about what Chomsky (hey and me,
    and others..) are. That's why I call you ignorant, a fool, and an
    idiot. Because that behaviour merits that response. It's my honest
    opinion. Free speech, right? I'm sure you''ll defend my right to it.
    Furthermore, whenever you have been approached reasonably with a
    request for an answer to a question you simply ignore it. I lost count
    (3?4?) of the amount of times you were asked to respond to this,
    amongst others...

    > 'Why is killing 3000 civilians in NYC an act of terror, while 10000 in
    > iraq is not'

    care to answer? For the 4th or 5th time of asking?

    So, I guess what your doing is a classic case of avoidance 'so typical
    of conservatives who, when their beliefs are challenged, are unable to
    respond intelligently.' To be honest though, perhaps such
    Liberal/Conservative polarisations are rather simplistic.. Pot calling
    kettle? Except I've granted you your 'intelligent response'. Maybe
    you'd care to return the gesture?

    Chomsky, as I notice has already been pointed out to you cannot be
    accurately described as 'championing Marxism'. So your use of Pirsigs
    quote is wholly inappropriate. Perhaps if you read him you could find
    that out for yourself, how much encouragement do you need ?

    You should consider paying attention to MarshaVs words too :

    "Reading Chomsky is healthy. I don't hang on his every word. But when
    things really begin to stink, he is there with some interesting and
    well documented information. It definitely makes for better informed
    citizens."

    I agree wholeheartedly. As far as I can see, you have no qualification
    to agree or disagree.

    I hope to read your response.. Strangely, the only time you do respond
    is when ridiculed, which might go some way to explaining why it happens
    in the first place. Or maybe it's just frustration, either way, if you
    read the above you'll see there's plenty you can offer an intelligent
    response to. If your not one who, when your beliefs are challenged, are
    unable to respond intelligently'. as sadly it seems, I'm afraid.

    Yours honestly,

    Adam