RE: MD Objectivism and the MOQ

From: Paul Turner (paulj.turner@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Jun 14 2004 - 15:09:38 BST

    Hello Mark H

    Mark said:
    "I find myself still leaning toward the "objectivity" of facts."

    And

    "By "objective" I don't mean that facts are just sitting out there,
    being TRUE, waiting to be
    discovered. I mean, I think, that a fact is a pattern with the HIGHEST
    possible value."

    Paul:
    Which is precisely the MOQ redescription of facts and objectivity.
    Something attracts us to certain ideas - often those with simplicity,
    economy and breadth of explanation - and these ideas tend to bring a
    certain clarity to the mind. The MOQ explains this by saying that it is
    not because these ideas are TRUE in any Platonic sense but that what
    'attracts' us to these ideas is value. This is the basis of the MOQ's
    epistemology.

    Mark said:
    And that this value can be recognized by anyone and everyone, though
    some may not choose to recognize it.

    Paul:
    Exactly.

    Mark said:
    So, for me, it's the choosing that is subjective.

    Paul:
    Well, this is where the MOQ says that 'the choosing' is neither
    subjective nor objective; it precedes both a subjective and objective
    reality which we, as westerners, assume is the fundamental basis of
    experience.

    This is the basis for the MOQ's ontology.

    Mark said:
    So, when my Mom taught me to boil water, she listed a set of
    activities (patterns?) for me to follow: Kettle, faucet, burner, gas,
    match, burner, wait. My idea of "objectivity" is that anyone who
    follows these steps will end up with a kettle of boiling water.

    Paul:
    I would say that you were taught a valuable social pattern with which to
    meet biological needs. I think 'valuable' is a better description than
    'objective' because 'objective' has become loaded with too many
    meanings.

    Cheers

    Paul