Re: MD Forum style..

From: Horse (horse@darkstar.uk.net)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 01:37:21 BST

    Hi Folks

    The subject of different discussion formats comes up from time to time but never really
    gets resolved for one reason or another.
    Personally I like the current format and don't have a problem of following threads as I
    save all MD posts (around 23000 thus far). It also allows an amount of control in relation
    to spam and virii (!) by use of configuration files which are relatively easy to structure.
    Cases of spamming and viruses are virtually non-exstent.
    Then there is minimal maintenance as the list server is well maintained and the
    archiving of posts is pretty good. I don't have as much control over certain aspects as I
    would like but it's a good compromise.
    It's also run at low cost which means I don't need to pass on any financial burdens - as
    there are very few.
    Additionally, the way it's run at the moment means that it's ad free which, for my thinking
    anyway, is a huge bonus. I detest bulletin boards and mailing lists with poxy adverts for
    banks, bookies and other similar institutions. I'm not wild about the whole morality issue
    of advertising products you don't wholeheartedly agree with. If you like something and
    it's relevant then give it a plug for free. Otherwise leave it alone. Works for me!

    Having said all that, I do understand that a 'bulletin board' style of forum could also be a
    useful addition to MOQ discussions. I made some enquiries some time back but found
    little of reasonable quality at affordable rates. I'm also loathe to get involved in the whole
    tying in to a proprietary system with all the upgrade hassles that go with it. Been there,
    done it, got the ulcers and raised blood pressure!

    However, I would be prepared to get involved - at least initially - under certain
    conditions:

    1) The software to run the thing is open source
    2) It's not ridiculously complex and bug ridden
    3) There are no security issues involved
    4) I can get some assistance from someone who is technically competent and willing to
    commit time to the project.

    I'm technically competent myself - I've been writing 'C' code for a living for several years
    now, mostly low level stuff - but would probably need assistance in areas where I have
    little or no experience.

    If anyone is up for it then we can talk to see if it's feasible. How does that sound?

    Let me know.

    On 14 Jun 2004 at 21:21, Mark Steven Heyman wrote:

    > Hi Horse and all,
    >
    > I kind of like getting the text via email, though I can see where
    > having things formatted for browser might have some useful features,
    > such as being able to easily navigate a specific thread.

    The archives are pretty useful for this and normally have most posts available within a
    day of posting. Occasional hiccups do occur but are mercifully infrequent.

    > I think the main thing to keep in mind is that this forum is free, so
    > we need to be mindful of the maintenance load for Horse, for example.

    I like free. Free is good. I'd like to keep it that way if possible so that there are no
    economic restraints for membership or exclusions due to costs. As long as it's humanly
    possible I shall keep it free. Rich, poor or somewhere in between shouldn't be a barrier
    to talking about Quality and the MoQ. But maybe it's because I'm just an old hippy in
    heart and mind and still think that many of our ideals still have relevance.

    > If we want things to get more convenient for us, we might want to
    > consider paying a membership fee toward site maintenance. However, I
    > definitely would NOT want this to mean that somebody would be
    > excluded if they can't afford to pay.

    Absolutely agree - about the non-exclusion that is. Paid membership stuff is such a
    hassle and can cause problems and ill will which I can live without quite happily. There's
    enough of this without adding to the pile. If things get desperate it's a possibility but for
    the moment membership fees are unnecessary - but thanks for the thought anyway.
    Much appreciated.
    What is of greater use is a bit of member involvement and commitment. These are much
    more valuable than cash and can achive far greater things - in my view anyway. I'm also
    very easy to work with for the most part and rarely bite.

    > I guess Horse needs to weigh in on this.

    I just did ;^) Waddaya reckon?