Re: MD COSMOTHEISM

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 03:00:33 BST

    Hi Rich,

    Don't despair. I agree with Anthony. I think Pirsig comes off on
    the side of grace and goodness on this issue, even though he, given
    his personal history, might more understandably have leaned the
    other way.

    It's true that he could have spent some time detailing the effects of
    systemic racism on blacks themselves, but, really, that would have
    been moving considerably away from the book's subject, which is a
    more general inquiry into morals. And what would be the need,
    anyway, since the history of racism is so well known?

    Anyway, he's just one man, and Lila is just one book. There's a
    funny video of Chomsky fielding questions from several people, each
    of whom wanted to know why he focused more on the plight of the
    Palestinians than on the Kurds, or Native Americans, or the
    Chechnyans, blah, blah. At first he tries to answer by saying "Well
    I've written a lot about the Kurds..." Then he stops and sighs and
    smiles, and says "Look, I'm not Amnesty International. I'm just one
    guy." The questioners crack up, and the session is over.

    Well, Pirsig is just one guy. And I seriously doubt that he would
    find much to disagree with in the AAA statement. Maybe someone
    should send it to him, and see what he says.

    Best to all,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)

    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983
    On 21 Jun 2004 at 7:56, Richard Loggins wrote:
    Ant, msh, Paul V,
    > Ant McWatt comments:
    > Pirsig goes absolutely down the
    > political line when discussing blacks in LILA i.e.
    >
    > ‘It is not immoral to speak against a person because
    > of his cultural characteristics if those cultural
    > characteristics are immoral.  These are
    > changeable and they do matter.  Blacks have no right
    > to violate social codes and call it "racism" when
    > someone tries to stop them, if those codes are not
    > racist codes.  That is slander.’
    >
    > As is clearly apparent, therefore, Pirsig is
    > courageously dealing with the issue of black
    > criminality from an impartial view on an
    > intellectual basis, neither being swayed by
    > supposedly ‘political correct’ intellectuals nor by
    > socially-orientated racists.
    Perhaps he is courageous and impartial, Ant, but I
    think his emphasis slants toward the opinion that
    "racism" (the scare quotes are his) is mostly a false
    charge leveled against whites by blacks. He hints that
    genuine racism exists, but he doesn't say enough about
    it to suggest that he aggrees with the part of the AAA
    statement that, "The tragedy in the United States has
    been that the policies and practices stemming from
    this worldview succeeded all too well in constructing
    unequal populations among Europeans, Native Americans,
    and peoples of African descent." Instead in Pirsig's
    view, the tragedy in the United States has been the
    paralysis caused by racist slander.
    Since Pirsig addresses the issue of black crime head
    on but doesn't even mention the effects of systemic
    racism on blacks themselves, its not too hard to see
    why bigots like Paul Vogel could find a certain
    kinship with the socio-political views of my hero,
    R.M. Pirsig :(
    Rich
    MOQ.ORG  - http://www.moq.org
    Nov '02 Onward  - http://www.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/summary.html