Re: MD immoral irony?????

From: Horse (horse@darkstar.uk.net)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 00:08:03 BST

    Hi Folks

    Perhaps someone could enlighten me regarding the issue of race.
    I'm making the assumption that we are using the standard idea of race which is the
    classification of humans according to their skin colour so correct me if this is in error.
    Given this definition what useful information do we gain with this catagorization? What
    exactly is it's value beyond stating the obvious?
    This seems to be little more than a mapping of intellectual value to biological value in
    the same way that we could talk about the colour of a dogs fur. Do we talk about
    different races of dogs? Does anyone steer clear of black dogs because they are more
    likely to bite you on the arse? Are red dogs more savage than blond dogs?
    If we are catagorising based on skin/fur colour then it would seem to be nonsensical to
    extrapolate further towards individual/group behaviour, tendency towards violence etc.
    as the genetic cause of skin/fur/feather colour has no bearing on other aspects of the
    individual animal - be it human or canine.
    I'm sure most of you will see where I'm going with this but feel free to correct me if you
    think I've missed something.

    Horse