RE: MD are genes biological patterns of value?

From: Dan Glover (daneglover@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 05:31:57 BST

    Hello everyone

    >From: gav <gav_gc@yahoo.com.au>
    >To: moq_discuss@moq.org
    >Subject: MD are genes biological patterns of value?
    >Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:23:18 +1000 (EST)
    >
    >i think we are on to something else that i find
    >difficult:
    >are genes biological patterns of value or are they
    >intellectual patterns? or are they both?
    >
    >gav has a stab:
    >does a gene exist physically? can you point to one? if
    >not then 'gene' is an abstract scientific concept
    >(intellectual)
    >
    >if genes do exist physically and are clearly
    >distinguishable then they could be seen as BVPs i
    >suppose.
    >
    >similar to the 'atom' question i think. do atoms exist
    >outside of our scientific picture of material reality?
    >
    >hmmmmmmm i dunno

    Hi Gav

    From what I understand, like atoms genes cannot be seen directly but are
    instead inferred through the use of scientific instruments. Genes and atoms
    and everything we know of reality are concepts. Even the kitchen table that
    my laptap is sitting on while I'm typing this is a concept. It is inferred
    through the use of my senses but I have no way of knowing if it is really
    there or not.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    Dan

    PS. There was an old monk traveling through a strange land. One day he
    stopped to eat by a large boulder but he had no provisions so he just sat
    looking up at the boulder. By and by a band of young monks happened along.
    They shared their meal with the old man and then they invited him to camp
    with them by the boulder. It was late in the day so the old man consented
    and thanked them many times for their generosity. Later that night a
    discussion broke out among the young men concerning the nature of perception
    and whether what is seen is really there or just an illusion inside the
    mind. After listening to the discussion for some time, the old man pointed
    to the boulder and asked one of the young monks if the boulder was outside
    his head or within his head. Thinking for a moment, the young monk finally
    answered that the boulder was within his head. The old monk commented on how
    heavy the boulder must be to carry around. Then he lay down and went to
    sleep.

    From ‘will you?’ to ‘I do,’ MSN Life Events is your resource for Getting
    Married. http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married