Re: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: Valuemetaphysics@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 18:53:00 BST

    Wim:
    As I stated 6 Jul 2004 14:35:19 +0200:
    'THE coherent combination or THE sweet spot ... doesn't exist. Pretending it
    does (e.g. by naming it 'freedom and quality') implies making DQ (emergent
    5th level patterns of value) subservient to 4th level symbolism.'

    Dear Wim,
    Sweet spot is a real language idiom. There is little point in denying this?
    The question is, 'What is a sweet spot?'
    Applying the MOQ provides a revealing insight: Coherence between static
    patterns of value such that DQ becomes more influential.
    To put this another way, coherence is, 'freedom from static patterns across
    static patterns.'

    If we agree coherence is possible across networks of patterns at all levels,
    then your belief that, 'THE coherent combination or THE sweet spot ... doesn't
    exist' is misleading if you argue for an 'objective' permanent state.
    Coherence is situational - it is in the moment as aesthetic harmonising. I feel this
    may be why you misunderstand Wim.

    I don't understand what you mean by: "Pretending it
    does (e.g. by naming it 'freedom and quality') implies making DQ (emergent
    5th level patterns of value) subservient to 4th level symbolism." I do not
    understand what "5th level patterns of value" are in the MOQ.

    Pretending coherence does not exist is like saying a violin cannot be tuned
    to it's optimum self tension; that a motorcycle cannot be tuned to operate at
    peak performance for it's driver/weather conditions; that an arrow cannot be
    shot at the best moment for it to reach its aim. If we extrapolate coherence to
    social, economic and intellectual patterns we find coherence it at work, and
    attainable as an aim here also. To reach it we simply explore using our sense
    of values and aesthetics. To deny this is to deny the experience of real people
    expressing their situation in everyday language.
    Anthony McWatt has indicated in his response to Mark H that a Buddhist
    approach to our social and economic needs will naturally tend towards coherence.
    (This may be because Zen Buddhists value attainment of 'the way.') This sounds
    good to me.

    All the best,
    Mark