Re: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: ml (mbtlehn@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 23:22:59 BST

    Blushing Severely...

    Chuck Roghair:
    > Hello All:
    >
    > Forgive my naivette, but can an economic/political system in and of itself
    > be qualified as "immoral"? The people who either elevate or manipulate
    the
    > system, aren't they the ones who deserve these labels? If so, does that
    > change the focus of this discussion?

    Your vision seems to be clear.
    My initial thought seems to run to this: that all an economic
    system is would be the accumulated policies, procedure, and
    practices - formerly dynamic that are now static, that support the
    dynamic actions and choices made by the people... They make the choices to
    act according to morality or not.

    However, they can create or enforce the past establishment of institutions
    that create immoral relationships. This implies a question.

    Is slavery immoral? (Pretend it is not a stupid question for the moment.)

    A society, L3 say Los Angeles, decides to dominate a biological group,
    L2, say Blondes and utilize them as slaves. Is this a higher level
    dominating a lower level? Sounds like it...
    Why is this wrong under MoQ?

    > To put it another way:is such a thing as a moral economic system possible
    in
    > practice? The general population sadly can't be trusted, not everyone,
    > maybe not most. The extremes: compelling others to share everything or
    > simply allowing the state to control everything are unacceptable choices
    > all but the genuinely extreme among us, so aren't we left with what we've
    > got aside from fiddling with nuances here and there now and again?

    Not sure I agree with this. Once a person has been socialized, trained,
    educated to be a member of a society, they tend to be mostly trustworthy
    for most things, most of the time...even my dog is - not so much my cat.

    I go to the store without fear of being knocked down by spontaneous
    mobs and robbed. Most folks I see seem to live-and-let-live.

    > Free enterprise is not without its flaws, but I can't recall the last time
    > anyone forced vacuous materialism on me. Materialism is an individual
    > choice and not necessarily evil so long as it's tempered with a spiritual
    > rudder.

    Vacuous materialism sounds a little like Saturday morning TV