Re: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: Arlo J. Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 18:19:35 BST

    Platt,

    > Agree. We've had ample opportunity to freely express our views. Thanks for
    > a lively conversation without descending to name-calling.

    Ditto. Much as we may disagree, I am grateful for the dialogue.

    > This is the nub of our disagreement. For you, earning money isn't good.
    > For me, earning money means you have done good for somebody who values the
    > the product of service you provide. I hope Pirsig and his publisher earn
    > lots of money, the more the better.

    As do I. I never said "earning money" isn't good. I just don't believe it is the
    unassailable highest good (as it is in modern capitalism). When "earning money"
    is done at the expense of treating people as meaningless objests it to be
    rethought. For example, if slightly more money for Pirsig meant treating a
    Tijuanese population like slave labor, or putting people to work doing
    meaningless, alienating activities, then I think a better balance can be had.
    In the current dialogue it is impossible to say anything more than "whatever
    brings Pirsig more money is justifiable". This "whatever" is what is
    structurating the market to favor alienating labor, dependance on poor, slave
    labor, and a general regard for employees and "the enemy" to wealth
    accumulation.

    You mention Joseph Campbell in another post. He also blamed much of the
    degeneration of modern society and individual psychoses to "the absence of an
    effective general mythology" (in Hero with 1000 Faces). That is, without a
    mythology to describe the Good (as Pirsig argued is the only way to approach
    it- "it's all an analogy, it has to be" ZMM) all sorts of degenerative maladies
    fall into being, derived from the individual trying to construct individual,
    personal mythologies. From his description of the Monomyth, I don't think he
    felt that any one particular mythology was "right", but that it is important
    for a culture to have a shared mythological reference for discussion of the
    Good. In the end, the Monomyth is an elevated view because it demonstrates the
    falsity of individual names, a common problem with the adoption of any given
    mythology, and focuses on the "analogy".

    I mention this because it is the core of my criticisms. Capitalism exists now
    without referent to anything beyond money. It's not that money is bad, or
    unnecessary, but that actions in the marketplace should come secondary to a
    greater understanding (or dialogue) of what is Good. Perhaps, since
    Christianity is the majority religion in this country, if more business owners
    would actually ask themselves the cliched "WWJD?" before engaging in market
    activites, much of this discussion could be eliminated. I doubt, for example,
    that Jesus would justify the conditions in Tijuana because it increases profit
    margins for the Coke executives. Or that he would approve of the dumping of
    tons of poisonous lead into groundwater to save money "just because we can get
    away with it". But not just Jesus; the Buddha, Mohammed, White Buffalo Calf
    Woman, Avolokiteshvara, name your Prophet or Messiah,... and my point with the
    MOQ, Quality, for Quality (as Pirsig indicates) is what causes us to
    continually create the world, and thus invent religion as a response to
    Quality.

    The individual names differ, but as Joseph Campell argues with the Monomyth, the
    fundamental meanings and realizations revealed through religious practices are
    universal. They have to be, since they are all constructed as a response to
    Quality. And it is these "truths", the monomythic constructions, which must
    supercede the pursuit of wealth. Modern capitalism disallows this, saying that
    there is nothing that is immoral in the pursuit of wealth. We can have free
    markets, and still focus on "doing good", if we are guided by Quality and not
    capital as the primary, all-important force in life. In short, the individual
    mythological referent "WWJD", could be very simply mapped (via the Monomyth)
    onto the statement "What would Quality do?". Indeed, it has been when Pirsig
    paraphrased Plato "And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good, need we
    ask anyone to tell us these things?"

    Now, having said this, this is what I mean when I say the dialogue should be
    about "doing good" and not "earning money".

    Arlo