RE: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: Arlo J. Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 03:15:32 BST

    Platt,

    If you read Campbell, or my post, you'd understand that the "low quality"
    practices you mention are the result of a falsity of names. "My God, not Your
    God", Jesus not Mohammed, etc. The Monomyth is ONE WAY, of approaching the
    analogy, the only way we have to speak of the Good, according to Pirsig and the
    Sophists (which I agree with).

    Nothing in my post indicated a favoring of "religious practices". Pirsig states
    very clearly in ZMM that (1) Quality is the continuing impetus which causes us
    to create the world, and (2) in response to Quality, men invent religion. He is
    very clear that the Sophists understood that the ONLY way to talk about Quality
    was through analogy.

    All I did was suggest that "earning money", NOT your restated "Quality of
    freedom", should be subservient to a discussion on Quality (what is good, and
    what is not good). Approaching Quality through an idea like the Monomyth is ONE
    WAY one could go about this.

    Let me restate: "What is good and what is not good" SHOULD be involved in the
    dialogue ABOVE earning money.... NOT in place of.

    Obviously, you choose "earning money" (conveniently labeled here as personal
    freedom, as if two are quaintly synonomous) over anything else.

    I'll choose asking "what is good and what is not good" over "anything is
    justifiable in the name of money" any day. But, that's just me.

    Arlo