RE: MD Maxwell's "Coherence" and the MOQ

From: Paul Turner (paul@turnerbc.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 10:49:58 BST

    Hi David

    dmb said:
    I have to say that I was a little insulted by the inclusion of the
    dictionary definitions and certainly hope that you didn't imagine that I
    lacked such knowledge.

    Paul:
    Not intended, and no, I didn't imagine you didn't know what the word
    meant, I thought a precise definition was a useful starting point,
    that's all.

    Dmb said:
    What I don't get is the meaning beyond the dictionary, Mark's supposed
    "philosophical" meaning of the word "coherence". Its pretty clear that
    he thinks the word means somthing "similar to Quality" and that he's
    using the term to "link Pirsig's MOQ" to various fields. But
    as it is presented, I think it not only fails to accomplish this
    linking, the ideas themselves seems to make no sense. They seem contrary
    to the MOQ and logically incoherent.

    Paul:
    Well, I gave you what you asked for and you hold the same opinion. They
    are Mark's ideas and it is for him to counter your arguments. I will
    counter the words directed at me though.

    Dmb said:
    I honestly can't believe this makes any sense to anyone and I'm very
    perplexed as to how you
    could imagine this would make anything more clear.

    Paul:
    It doesn't make the MOQ clearer to me; Pirsig did a good enough job. I
    find value in the way that Mark provides examples from sources other
    than Pirsig, similar to noting how Wilber, or Plotinus, or Barfield etc.
    supports the MOQ, only the accounts he uses are not from philosophers,
    but from sportsmen, musicians etc.

    Dmb said:
    I mean, coming to the defense of this new age jibberish is just not like
    you.

    Paul:
    You're right, in that I don't defend "new age gibberish."

    Dmb said:
    I still see no merit in mark's "coherence". In fact, the whole notion
    seems to confuse things terribly.

    Paul:
    Well, I'm sure Mark can live with your opinion. Stick to what you know
    and like, I guess?

    Cheers

    Paul