RE: MD Anti-theism in the MOQ

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 00:09:16 BST

    Mark and all MOQers:

    Joseph Campbell fans might like this one. And I hope someone fowards it to
    Sam...

    MM said:
    Thanks for a great post rejecting Ken Wilber's half baked approach to
    philosophy.

    dmb replies:
    Mark, your wierd attack is a respose to naked Pirsig quotes that do not
    mention or refer to Ken Wilber in any way. I could easily dismiss it as an
    emotional outburst, but there is a quote that directly contradicts you AND
    raises an interesting issue. (For those who haven't been following, Mark is
    upset that I don't like his ideas about "coherence" and has apparently
    decided to "act out" by attacking Ken Wilber, who is my lover and close
    personal friend.) The quote not only shows that Wilber and Pirsig are quite
    compatible, it contradicts your specific attack on the perennial philosophy.
    (Made in MF while discussing levels.) I suppose you noticed it too and
    that's what has prompted your bizzare response? Whatever the case, the quote
    in question comes from Pirsig's concluding remarks...

    247 "Bradley's fundamental assertion is that the reality of the world is
    intellectually unknowable, and that defines him as a mystic. So it has
    really been a shock to see how close is the the MOQ. Both he and the MOQ are
    expressing what Aldous Huxley called "The Perennial Philosophy", which is
    perennial, I believe, because it happens to be true."

    dmb resumes:
    I don't mind confessing that my ego puffed up when I read this. Its almost
    exactly what I said and so almost exactly what Mark disputed as Wilberian
    poison. The perrenial philosophy was batted down nearly every time I
    mentioned it. So, as one can imagine, it was quite a thrill to see that
    Pirsig has explicitly drawn the connection himself. And for Mark, seeing it
    must have been the opposite of thrilling. (There were other quotes that seem
    to contradict your ideas about coherence too, but I don't wish to beat a
    dead horse.) Lots of very smart people have written about the perennial
    philosophy, but just to get your goat, I'll use Ken Wilber's words to
    explain it...

    "THE PERENNIAL PHILOSOPHY (the term was made famous by Huxley but coined by
    Leibniz) - the transcentental essence of the great religions - has as its
    core the notion of 'nonduality', which means that reality is neither one nor
    many, neither permanent nor dynamic, neither seperate nor unified, neither
    pluralistic nor holistic. It is entirely and radically above and prior to
    ANY form of conceptual elaboration. ..Sri Ramana Maharshi had a perfect
    summary of the paradox of the ultimate:"

    The world is illusory;
    Brahman alone is real;
    Brahman is the world.

    "THE PERENNIAL PHILOSOPHY is the worldview that has been embraced by the
    vast majority of the world's greatest spiritual teachers, philosophers,
    thinkers, and even scientists. Its called 'perennial' or 'universal' because
    it shows up in virtually all cultures across the globe and across the ages.
    And wherever we find it, it has essentially similar features, it is in
    essential agreement the world over. We moderns, who can hardly agree on
    anything, find this rather hard to believe."

    "To begin with the premodern or traditional sources, the easiest access to
    their wisdom is through what has been called the perennial philosophy, or
    the common core of the world's great spiritual traditions. As Huston Smith,
    Arthur Lovejoy, Ananda Coomaraswamy, and other scholars of these traditions
    have pointed out, the core of the perennial philosophy is the view that
    reality is composed of various LEVELS OF EXISTENCE - levels of being and
    knowing - ranging from matter to body to mind to soul to spirit. Each senior
    dimension transcends but includes its juniors, so that this is a conception
    of wholes within wholes within wholes indefinitely, reaching from dirt to
    divinity." (Emphasis is Wilber's)

    dmb resumes:
    Right away we can see that the MOQ, Wilber and the perennial philosophy
    share some fairly large and central ideas about the nature of reality: that
    it is mystical, nondual and divided into levels of existence. They all
    suggest that we, as human beings, can move up through these levels on the
    way toward enlightenment or through the course of our personal evolution, if
    you will. And I think this idea goes a long way toward clarifying the quote
    that prompted this thread in the first place...

    208 "The MOQ would add a fourth stage where the term "God" is completely
    dropped as a relic of an evil social suppression of intellectual and Dynamic
    freedom. The MOQ is not just atheistic in this regard. It is anti-theistic."

    dmb continues:
    Any reader can independently explore the full context of these remarks, but
    for our present discussion it is probably enough to simply say that he is
    responding to a description of the stages of evolution of religion and so
    Pirsig is talking about a fourth stage or level of religion. And I think
    there is a much simpler form of the same notion, also from Pirsig...

    196 "The selling out of intellectual truth to the social icons of organized
    religion is seen by the MOQ as an evil act."

    dmb resumes:
    Pirsig and the MOQ have no use for "Bible-babble" or "clap-trap", it is
    atheistic, anti-theistic and does not agree with most kinds of traditional
    Christianity, it drops the words 'spirit' and 'faith' AND YET it is not
    opposed to religion per se, its agreement with the perennial philosophy
    binds it firmly to tradition and it is MYSTICAL at its core. How much does
    that rock?

    Do Pirsig's comments on religion and the perennial philosophy open up an
    interesting can of worms, or what? Where's Sam the priest and Wim the Quaker
    with all this, I wonder?

    Did I ever tell you about the time Marshall McLuhan overheard me arguing
    about his work? I was standing in line for a movie, talking to a fool, when
    McLuhan came over to help... Not literally, but that how it feels.

    Thanks,
    dmb