(no subject)

From: Richard Budd (rmb007Q1@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 17:53:12 BST

<l03130302b54432599c58@[202.81.253.238]>
Subject: Re: LS Slow Reading
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 12:49:33 -0400
Sender: owner-lilasquad@venus.co.uk

Hey all,

DIANA:
> Objective 1. discuss what themes/arguments are raised
> Objective 2. evaluate those themes/arguments on their own merits
>
> An example would be the "over-ripe" breasts passage in chapter one. We
have
> had a few people complain that that is sexist. So does the question of
> Pirsig's sexism arise in chap 1? I'd say, yes, the question does arise, so
> it meets Objective 1. But to answer it you have to go beyond chapter one.
> Does Lila have any redeeming characteristics? Are there other unattractive
> female characters? What about the male characters? Are there any feminist
> arguments in Lila?

RICK:
I'm worried about things like this.... "Theme/arguments" raised by who????
As far I can tell, "Pirsig's sexism" is NOT a theme raised in LILA....
(there is certainly nothing in the text that could conclusively tell us if
Pirsig is a sexist and keeping that in mind I think discussing is it
essentially a waste of time...)
  I think this slow reading should discuss and examine issues raised by
Pirsig in LILA (and maybe ZMM if they are relevant to some LILA related
issue).... not our own pet issues....
Rick

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org