LS Very Slow Reading IV

From: Andreas Deppner (atomic-s@muenster.de)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 23:30:00 BST

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: I'm happy to see other members have moved on to
chapter 2 after our little caesura. Andreas has returned to chapter 1
in this post. I'd like to see us wrap up chapter 1 and move cleanly
into chapter 2. Thanks, Keith]

A long break,

Let's focus again:

Page 4 Bantam Press Edition, 1991

" He wanted to wake her and take her again but as he thought about this a
sad feeling rose up and forbade it. The more he hesitated the more the
sadness grew. He would like to know her better. He'd had a feeling all night
that he had seen her before somewhere, a long time ago."

Lila will not be troubled because something from within the man rose up and
forebade it. This is good for Lila. She will not be troubled. Something came
and approached the man. He is changing his view and the lust vanishes.
Something from his subconcious touches him and he reacts. He wants to come
nearer from a different angle. He is shifting from the biological to the
social level. He would like to know her better. He feels that this is
obviously a better way to go.
This is related to " a feeling all night that he had seen her before
somewhere, a long time ago."

" That thought seemed to bring it all down. Now the sadness came on in full
and blended with the darkness of the cabin and with the dim indigo light
throught the hatch above. Up there were stars, framed by the hatch opening
so that they seemed to move when the boat rocked. Part of Orion momentarily
disappeared, then appeared again. Soon all the winter constellations would
be back."

Yes, sensations.
The clear sky, the indigo light and " winter constellations " = cold and
clear. He remembers something and grows really sad now. It is cold and
clear - he remembers and feels sad.

" Cars rolling over a bridge in the distance sounded clearly through the
cold night." This adds the sensation that sounds can be better heard -
recognized. This sets an frame for whatever will happen now. He feels sad,
it is dark,cold and clear and somewhat sounds can be ver well heard.

" They were on their way to Kingston, somewhere on the bluffs above, over
the Hudson River. The boat was berthed here in this tiny creek for a night's
rest on the way south." The boat is hidden (?) though he can hear very well
what is happening up there on the bluffs. The cars are going to a defined
and near place. The boat is going just into a certain direction.

" There was not much time." Not much time for what ? " There was almost no
green left in the trees along the river. Many of the turned leaves had
already fallen. During these last few days, gusts of cold wind had swept
down the river valley from the north, swirling the leaves up off their
branches into the air in sudden spiraling flights of red and maroon and gold
and brown across the water of the river into the path of the boat as it
moved down the buoyed channel."

Life goes and the dead remains are taken by the cold wind from the north (=
death) and set in a spiraling dance, although dead they move, swirling
across the water A last dance, before the leaves turn to soil - bringing up
new life. . A swirl: dead, colorfull, once alive.

  Is there an possible allegory that every leave is a thought ? This picture
is quite common in poetry and literature.
Death (= the cold wind from the north) turns into cold colourfull dervishes
(=swirls of leaves on the river). Death makes itself visible and hides at
the same time. It appears by swirling the dead thoughts/leaves up and taking
them out of their original context/branches. The branches do not have the
power to keep them anymore. Once alive, now dead, cold and colorful they
block (?) the boat's path on the way to a place where live is (south). They
try to distract the attention of the boat man by their dead beauty. The
colours are red, maroon, gold and brown - any realtion there ?

" There had been hardly any other boats in the channel." He is nearly alone.

  " A few boats at docks along the river bank seemed abandoned and forlorn
now that summer had ended and their owners had turned to other pursuits." He
is the only one following a quest on this river which, in summer, has been
shared by others. The boats are 'forlorn' and 'abandoned'. This does not
sound as if the owners will come back. At least he thinks so.

I must go now - the clock just turned midnight - and today is my birthday
and I fell in a strange kind of love - and I am afraid and happy at the same
time and I really wonder what will happen this year - a lot I guess - what a
strange kind of communication I share with You guys and gals - It is
different from what I thought but beneficial anyway.

Thanx for being around,

Andreas

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org