LS Facing up to reality

From: Jonathan B. Marder (marder@agri.huji.ac.il)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 22:00:44 BST

Hello all,

> [MODERATOR'S NOTE: I'm happy to see other members have moved on to
> chapter 2 after our little caesura. Andreas has returned to chapter 1
> in this post. I'd like to see us wrap up chapter 1 and move cleanly
> into chapter 2. Thanks, Keith]

I'm slightly disappointed - not angry, and especially not at Keith, who
let the very slow reading persist despite his misgivings. We've hardly
scratched the surface of Chapter 1.
Here are a couple of the things not touched so far:
1. Phaedrus, Rigel and Capella discussing "space", a discusion that P.
ends by asking "What happens to someone who sits in a locked room and
doesn't answer the phone, and refuses to come out when someone is
knocking at the door, even when the kid are home and have turned up the
TV?"
I infer that P. is talking about insanity here - the topic was very
popular in the other forums, why not here?

2. The music - "DO A LITTLE DANCE, MAKE A LITTLE LOVE ..."
What's the meaning of this whole repetitive bar-room ritual?

I really AM disappointed that we have individually and collectively
dried up. I hoped that we would have a steady stream of new insights.
"But that wasn't how it would be" ( paragraph 3). I have to face the
reality - we are what we are.

Thus, in deferrence to Keith, I will continue on to what I consider to
be a key sentence in Chapter 2:

"That's all he needed, he thought, about three thousand four-by-six
slips of notepad paper all over the floor."

The value of the slips was not just the value of each slip individually.
That way, their total value would add up the same whatever the order.
The ORGANIZATION of the slips - the way they we placed in a hierarchy -
provided a whole new dimension value, a value that could be destroyed
without losing or damaging a single item.

Jonathan

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org