LS March 1999 Program Topic

From: Jeffrey W. Travis (Jeff.Travis@gsfc.nasa.gov)
Date: Fri Feb 26 1999 - 19:21:31 GMT

Greetings, Rick and Squad --

At 07:38 PM 2/24/99 -0500, Richard Budd wrote . . .

>I like the idea of starting the new discussion from a specific passage of
>LILA and would like to suggest one that I think might take this
>conversation in whole new direction:
>
>(Starting on p.389--- He is at the Boston Muesum admiring paintings and
>notices the halos that appear in them...)

<snip>

>This is one of those passages that always leaves me with a raised eyebrow
>and an unsatisfied feeling. He goes to elaborate on "the light" for a few
>pages more. I'd love to hear the Squad's take on "the light". Is it really
>out there or has RMP taken a good metaphor one step too far? I say we
>seriously question the man on this one.

This is one of those passages that always sends a chill down my spine!

I've talked to an (Asian) Indian friend about the dharmakaya light. He says
it is real, although he explained it in non-mystical terms (as in, enhanced
sensitivity to infrared wavelengths or some such); but he did mention that
animals and children are particularly attracted to those special people who
have the light on them.

I think this would make a good program, although I'm not sure we could fill
out a month with it. My vote stays with Keith's proposal, the first part of
it anyway (ref. my previous comments). I guess if Keith is more interested
in the second part of his proposal, then I'd choose this subject.

Just to throw something else into the mix, here's another idea . . .

In ZAMM Pirsig describes Socrates and his student Plato as being involved in
a struggle with the Sophists over the primacy of Truth (Plato) or Quality
(Sophists). Plato's particular take on the nature of reality is described as
a new synthesis of the viewpoints of Cosmologists of a static orientation
(such
as Parmenides) and those of a dynamic orientation (such as Heraclitus).

Plato won the struggle, of course; and his victory was further consolidated
by _his_ student, Aristotle, the end result being the Subject-Object
Metaphysics that today is the basis of the modern mythos.

What would our world look like today if the Sophists had won? Pick an aspect
of modern life and describe how it would be different, and why. If possible,
support your answer with references to original Greek sources.

Jeff Travis

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org