RE: LS Principles

From: Bruce Dalton (broocie@hotbot.com)
Date: Sun Mar 14 1999 - 10:06:17 GMT

Diana, Rich and the LS

Appreciate the work you are trying to do in clarifying Pirsig's work.

If I might be allowed to have a go at your "principles"

Rich
>>>1) The nature of reality is Quality - undefined.

I like the directness of Rich's Quality principle. After all if you can't define it why bother saying anything. But then agzin I do feel we need to say that quality is morality at least.

Diana
>>2. The Dynamic-static split
>>The best way to split Quality is into dynamic and static quality. Dynamic
>>quality is experienced as freedom, newness, excellence, fun, beauty. Static
>>quality is experienced as structure, normality, apathy, stability. Dynamic
>>and static can be achieved simultaneously through dharma.
Diana has only described dynamic and static in terms of how they are experienced. Maybe that's right but I would have liked more explanation

>>>3) Four Static patterns of Value have evolved through the free force of
>>> Dynamic Quality.
>>>
>>> Physical
>>> Biological
>>> Social
>>> Intellectual

Sounds fine but don't understand why you've changed inorganic to physical.

>>>4) Each level arises, but is discrete, from the previous.
>>> These systems and their relationships account for everything.
>>>
>>>5) This is an ethical evolution. When in conflict, the later level has
>>> moral superiority. Dynamic release from any static pattern
>>> is the highest good.

>>4. Static conflict
>>Each static level sees itself as the highest good and tries to dominate the
>>others.
>>
>>5. Static dependency
>>Although the higher levels constantly try to break free from the lower ones
>>they are also dependent on them and should not destroy them
>>
>>6. Morality
>>The physical nature of the world is also its moral nature. The order of
>>morality from lowest to highest is inorganic, biological, social,
>>intellectual and Dynamic. The static levels also exhibit low quality and
>>high quality patterns within themselves.

These all look like different principles to me so perhaps we need more than six principles.

>I don't believe we
>have enough time to sort out all the principles this
>month, however it
>would be a step forward if we can at least figure out
>which areas need more
>study.

I feel that all the principles need a lot more study.
But also agree that one thing at a tme would be more constructive.

Bruce

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org