Re: LS PROGRAM: MOQ Catechism

From: Magnus Berg (McMagnus@hem2.passagen.se)
Date: Sun Mar 14 1999 - 21:26:14 GMT

Hi Squad

As many have said, there are countless ways to introduce the MoQ to a
person. Since we only have 45 minutes, we can't tell them all, so which
one do we pick?

We could, as Diana suggested, reduce the MoQ to some short principles, or
to be really brief, just the one sentence - Good is a noun. I don't know if
that would do the trick though, it's one thing to know what such hip shot
principles mean when you already understand the MoQ. It's a completely
different matter to understand the MoQ from such principles. To use the
Dakota metaphor, you have to climb the mountain to see the plains.

No, I think we must follow John's lead and ask Mary about the background of
the people sitting in the audience. Since this is one of those posts written
over several days, Mary already answered that one. A Unitarian gay agnostic
minister!? Oh my, that should narrow things down, such combinations are
pretty scarce in Sweden anyway. But then again, I'm not sure what I would
say to him either, I would probably just make a fool of myself trying to
explain my prejudices about Unitarian gay agnostic ministers in MoQ terms.

If I may generalize a little regarding the people I've preached the MoQ to,
it would be that they approached me about a specific question that I was
able to, maybe not answer, but at least offer another angle to, and resolve
the stalemate. Normally, I don't even mention the MoQ, only if they ask.

Actually, I think that would be the MoQ way to introduce itself. Didn't
most of the Squad approach the MoQ this way? Many members have told us
about their particular reason for choosing the MoQ, and they are often about
some problem being resolved by the MoQ and nothing else.

Maybe an even better demonstration of the power of the MoQ would be to
explain two, seemingly unconnected, questions and then make the connection.
Just make sure each question is real and honest.

As I said, I don't know and won't guess what the question of this particular
minister might be. John already expressed my main point with his advice:
"connect with the vitality in the request".

        Magnus

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org