Re: MD Sophocles not Socrates

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 21:40:31 GMT

    Hi Sam,

    > And I now discover in Lila's Child Pirsig saying:
    >
    > "Yes, Phædrus is overwhelmingly intellectual. He is not a mask, really,
    > just a literary character who is easy for me to write about because I share
    > many of his static values a lot of the time. I don't think big self and
    > small self are involved here. My editor wanted me to make him a warmer
    > person in order to increase reader appeal. But making him warmer would have
    > made him more social and weakened the contrasts between himself and Rigel
    > and Lila that were intended to give strength to the story. The fact that
    > everyone seemed to think that Phædrus was me came as an unpleasant surprise
    > after the book was published. I had assumed that everyone would of course
    > know that an author and a character in his book cannot possibly be the same
    > person."

    Pirsig says he shares many of his Phaedrus character's static values. I
    take him at his word. Also in Lila's Child in the same place Pirsig
    writes:

    One interviewer asked me, "Are you really Phaedrus?" The answer was,
    "Yes I really am Phaedrus. I also really am Richard Rigel. I also really
    am Lila. I also really am the boat."

    So I guess a question will always be, "Will the real Robert Pirsig please
    stand up?" But when he writes things like, "What the Metaphysics of
    Quality says . . ." I believe I'm safe in presuming that the statements
    and conclusions which follow are Pirsig's own.

    Platt