Re: MD Pantheism and MOQ

From: Steve Peterson (speterson@fast.net)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 21:24:21 GMT

    Matthew Hails,

    I think that the moq is as far from Pantheism (everything is God) as it
    could be from any religion. Isnıt pantheism just a glorified materialism?
    Materialism posits that only that which has matter and energy is real.
    Pantheism just calls this collection of objects ³God.² (I donıt see how
    this labeling could be significant.)

    I think a case could be made that panENtheism, however, is consistent with
    the moq. Panentheism is the view that all of these objects are in God and
    doesnıt exclude anything else or any non-thing from being in God, either.
    God is that which is in us within which we also are (Marcus Borg). Try
    substituting Quality for God. I think it still works and I think it works
    for Christianity as well.

    Note that neither pantheism nor panentheism are religions in their own
    right. They are just ways of conceiving of God (which the moq calls
    Quality.) A tradition and religious practice must be attached to these
    conceptions of God before they can thought of as religions.

    As for how moq is consistent with environmental concerns, there is no
    intellect or society without biology. They depend on it. Society must pay
    respect to biology in that sense as in Lila there would have been no journey
    without the inorganic patterns represented by the boat, but I donıt think
    there is an ³every tree is sacred² idea in the sense that trees are just as
    good as people.
    I also donıt think that anyone would disagree that being out in nature can
    be a great mediator of Dynamic Quality and that nature should be preserved
    within a balance of other human values. Moq may help to weigh the competing
    values for a particular environmental issue.

    Steve