MD: The Linguistic Turn

From: Kevin (kevin@xap.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 22:52:33 GMT

    Matt,

    I'm intrigued by the "Linguistic turn" but haven't quite been able to
    get my mind around it yet.

    To make the Turn then, it appears to require accepting the idea that
    *all* thought is linguistic. (The kind of thing that Jerry Fodor was on
    about, correct? Am I on the right track here?)

    All thought is linguistic. That would make the below statement make a
    lot of sense to me.

    Matt said:
    The "linguistic turn" that many contemporary philosophers have taken is
    the turn away from talking about mind to talking about language. Mind
    is a non-entity now (for these philosophers). Part of this turn is
    that, strip away language and you aren't left with mind, you're left
    with nothing."

    Kevin:
    If All thought is linguistic, why talk about the Thoughtless mind? What
    good are questions about Thoughtless Reality? How can we hope to
    understand Reality that is Pre-thought? Why try?

    Is this the general territory you've tried to steer things?

    With hope,
    Kevin