MD The Quality of Winter

From: Gert-Jan Peeters (gjpeeters@wish.nl)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 21:15:24 GMT

    The Quality of Winter

    So, At last.. It is winter.
    In these west european part of the world winter can hardly be called winter.
    Usually it is 'just darker' and a bit colder. But this time the weather is
    'finally' getting some serious thing done.. It is accually freezing.

    I often get a lot of surprising looks when I tell people that I like winter
    more then summer. They usually want me to explain why that is. I often reply
    with the question why they like summer more then winter. "Because it is warm
    and the days last longer." They obviously know. For some reason they seem
    right and I seem wrong for liking winter more then summer.

    It became time to analyze the Quality of Winter. Offcourse I didn't have
    anny clue where to start. But the Levels spread out in Lila seemed the right
    point. So, there we go.

    Why do I like Winter more then Summer.

    On the anorganic level there is no more quality in cold material then in
    warm material. My clothes don't really care if it is several degrees below
    zero or the opposite.(Here we use Celsius) My first opinion would be to skip
    the anorganic level. I don't get far there.

    It gets more interesting if we step to the biological level. Because there
    the most inevitable outcome would be to like summer more then Winter. It al
    depends on what kind of summer offcourse. But the West European summers are
    not sahara like and only in extreem moments people die by the hand off
    weather. The summer gives organic live forms a better chance of survival and
    we all know that the number one ingredient for the plants is sunlight. It
    struggles to get some.
    So on the biological level spring and summer are good things and have a lot
    of Biological Quality.

    On the Social Level the summer gives a lot of opportunities to show our
    ammount of biological Quality. Running around half dressed over some
    White-sand-jellyfishfree-beach doing our annual fertility-dance. Showing our
    just-for-this-occasion-biceps. Well, Summer is a great time for them who
    have a great body. Well. The social aspect in this all is that summer would
    be not-so-great for them who don't have this not-so-great body. Not spending
    your teenaging period of your life prouncing around with your friends who DO
    have this ability is provoking the social structure of the friendship with
    those friends. You don't want that, so there you go.. trying to get yourself
    burned in the sun, because its social.

    Offcourse this wouldn't be a problem for me because I - like anny other west
    european bloke - have a GREAT body. So the winter would have an equal
    ammount of Quality if we should only look to this bodyshowing aspect.

    It is clear that the season provides their own special scenes for different
    social settings. I'm probably not a beach person. Maybe I'm more a ski down
    the slope person. But I also tried that and.. well.. That also doesn't do
    the thing. So what could be the social thing that is better in winter than
    in summer..? Hmm, still have no clue..

    Maybe it is an Intellectual thing. But, as it happens a lot when I try to
    explain something in this level, I get hopelesly lost. Maybe.. Just maybe..
    the average temperature of my cells is lower during wintertime. They will
    crumble together as it always goes when things cool down. My brain structure
    would be more compact. And the little electronic pulses reach their goals
    faster. Bottomline, I think quicker when its colder..

    Yes.. It would explain the intellectual growth in the parts of the world
    where the different between the seasons is bigger. Think about it. The parts
    of the world where the weather is quite constant is usually not famous about
    their filosofies and inventions. It all comes down to weather.

    Winter has Quality, because it makes me feel smarter..

    Well, as I said: I get lost after the first step in the intellectual level.
    I don't get it.
    I still don't know why I like winter more then summer. Is it Intellectual
    Quality, Social Quality, Biological Quality or Anorganic Quality..
    Maybe it has something to do with the bloody sneezing I start with every
    spring. I start sneezing somewhere around april and stop somewhere in
    september. Thats 6 &*^%% months.

    The Girl says "I like you"
    I say "HAA CHEEEE"

    The boss says "I'll give you a raise if you come up with a solution right
    now"
    I say "HAA CHEEE"

    The wife says "How should we call our son?"
    I say..

    Well .. It's terrible.. It is a biological Quality that is a Social
    Anti-Quality (or whatever die hard MoQ'ers call it)

    Annyway.. To complete this Quest for Quality, I should give the punchline.
    But there is none. And when there is none, just say it is written by some
    old forgotten chinese fellow and tell everybody it can only be understood if
    one is enlightened. Yes.. it could be - how do you call it - a Koan. Here it
    is..

    A pupil asked Master Haa Chee "Master, what is the Quality of winter?"
    The master looked at the pupil and replied, "You allready know the answer"
    The pupil asked further, "Is making a fire the Quality of Winter?"
    The master answered, "No, but your getting warm"