Re: MD Ironic Metaphysics

From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 20:57:32 GMT

    Scott,

    I understand what our differences are (I think), but, given that, I still
    don't understand a lot of the stuff on the whole mystery.

    Granted, I'm begging the question, which you are likewise doing. I think
    the best way to describe our differences is that you have faith in the
    "Real (non)-Thing" to help with the explanation of the mystery of the Many
    and the One and I have faith that science will one day get to the bottom of
    causal chains. Another way to describe this difference is to say that I
    leave science to deal with causation and such and leave self-creation off
    on another side and you want to twine the two together. The "Many and the
    One" anomaly has led you to lose faith in science's ability to deal with it
    and led you back to metaphysics to deal with it, which is also where you
    deal with self-transformation.

    To punch up these differences, the example of consciousness. Most analytic
    philosophers don't talk much about consciousness anymore because of the
    difficulty in describing what it is. They've left it off as one of those
    problems that is best redescribed in language where there's no problem.
    For instance, on my reading of Pirsig, Pirsig redescribes consciousness
    into the basic structure of reality with his shift into a value vocabulary.
     He gives "choice" to the very basic stratum of existence (I argued this in
    a post from a long time ago, "Free Will, Determinism, and Consciousness"
    (8/20/02)). Since we can easily redescribe everything as having
    consciousness, I don't think there's any much need to mull over the
    problems consciousness. As I see it, there's only a problem when you think
    that we need one over-arching vocabulary to describe everything into: a
    metaphysics. I prefer to have to vocabularies, one for rocks and another
    for how to live my life. As I see it, the move back to metaphysics is the
    move back to metanarratives, a single vocabulary to describe things,
    whether or not you're ironic.

    But, as you say, the move back to metaphysics wasn't initiated by the need
    for an arch-vocabulary, it was initiated by lost faith in science's ability
    to deal with rocks (or more specifically bodies). Thus, my saying that you
    want to twine self-creation with explanations of causation might be wrong.
    Its still certainly plausible to have multiple vocabularies while losing
    faith in science. But I don't see consciousness as having to enter into
    science's range.

    Matt