RE: MD No to absolutism

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 23:22:02 GMT

    Jon said:
    I've been lurking in the background, pleased to see newcomers coming in and
    asking good questions, but mostly distressed to see many large
    "contributions" that appear to serve mostly the poster's ego.
    I struggled through one of those posts to its end where the writer signed
    off "Thanks for your time, assholes." Frankly, the writer doesn't deserve
    my time.

    To which Matt said:
    I think DMB was refering to how I signed off the post for which he was
    replying: "Please, please, please. Don't be like my asshole friends."

    DMB says:
    That's right. I was responding to Matt's comments with humor. But there's
    even more to it than that. I was making a point. The last sentence prior to
    sign-off in question went like this; "Ignore the insults, but address the
    frank and direct challenges as if your reputation as a philosopher depended
    on it, because it does." And then, as if to test your ability to see beyond
    the percieved insults and adress the points being made, I signed off with a
    broad meaningless insult toward all readers. "Thanks for your time,
    assholes." Ironcially, Jonathan did the oppostie. He looked beyond the
    points being made and instead focused on the insult. I wondered if some
    hasty poster would fall into this trap. Ha! As if your reputation depended
    on it.