Re: MD Re: Non-empiricist definition of DQ

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 16:24:43 BST

    Chris,

    [Chris prev]
    > >>What if I believe that it simply doesn't matter whether man is a
    machine
    > >>or not? What does that make me? What if I believe the question is
    > >>undecidable? What if I say I think it's ill-posed and I'm not curious
    > >>enough to search for the problem?

    [Scott prev]Then you are deciding that one doesn't survive death.

    [Chris]You just did it again. Jumping to conclusions by adding
    significance
    > that's not in what I said.

    The significance is implied, as I see it, not added. If one hasn't
    concluded that one doesn't survive death, then the question of whether or
    not man is a machine must matter, since a definitive answer that he is a
    machine would be a conclusion on the afterlife question, since machines
    don't survive being broken and unfixable.

    So the only way one can think that the question whether man is a machine
    doesn't matter is to think that the question of an afterlife doesn't
    matter, which I find hard to think can be the case for anyone.

    - Scott