Re: MD Zmm, Lila & Barnes&Noble

From: Robert Eckert (rgeckert@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 05:03:04 BST

    Please pardon the interjection.

    The Library of Congress has a bad habit of mis-shelving books also. The book _Zen and the Brain_ is much more neurophysiology than Zen, but it is given BQ9288.A96. I asked the librarians about this and they gave each other knowing glances and told me that the powers that be don't seem to read the books, but just look at the first word in the title.

    Robert Eckert

    Charles Roghair <ctr@pacificpartssales.com> wrote:
    Hello:

    This is killing me.

    ZMM & LILA could also be in the "writing manuals section," "the books
    by guys whose last name begins with 'P' section," or "books the color
    of Pepto Bismol that sort of make me nauseous, but I love anyhow
    section."

    Lines are arbitrary and therefore not to be trusted. Pirsig agrees and
    says so much early on in ZMM which is, I think, ironically the genesis
    for an argument one might make for putting said tomes (ZMM at least) in
    the Buddhism section.

    Not that I would make such an argument, but I think there is a case to
    be made.

    Just a thought. Sorry. Carry on.

    Best regards,

    Chuck