RE: MD Political Correctness

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 22:17:43 BST

    mel said:
    .............................................the gray
    area between rigorous rejection of an idea on the one
    hand and intolerance on the other is a judgement call.

    dmb says:
    A judgement call? No. We can discuss the relative merits of an idea AS AN
    IDEA and this is entirely legitimate no matter how vigorous the discussion,
    no matter how good or bad the idea and no matter how stubbornly we may cling
    to our views. But bigotry judges the value of persons according to race,
    enthnicity, gender and other unchangeable and irrelevant standards. There is
    just no comparison between bigoty and the view that bigots are not good.
    Using this form of grotesque even-handedness, criminals and cops are the
    same because they both employ force to achieve their goals. This is not a
    judgement call so much as simply recognizing conventional distinctions. And
    in Pirsigian terms, bigotry is a low quality social value and rigorous
    rejection of an idea is an intellectual activity. They different levels of
    reality.