MD Political Correctness

From: ant.mcwatt@ntlworld.com
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 13:43:24 BST

    Ant McWatt stated August 31st 2004:

    > May I recommend Michael Moore's "Stupid White Men" published by
    > Penguin in 2001 and my present read of choice, Bill Hick's "Love All the
    > People" (published this year) which contains a number of his previously
    > unpublished letters and manuscripts...

    Mel stated September 5th 2004:

    > Is the "Stupid White Men" work significantly better than his
    > other stuff?

    Ant McWatt comments:

    I’ve only read one other book by Moore so it’s difficult for me to tell. I certainly thought the Fahrenheit 9-11 film was better but even if only half the material in "Stupid White Men" is accurate it provides much food for political thought.

    Mel stated September 5th 2004:

    >I just can get what the appeal is, he demonstrates
    > less intellectual rigor than Joe Piscipo with less dignity and
    > graciousness than Andrew Dice Clay at a funeral.

    Ant McWatt comments:

    Mel, that’s a great turn of phrase that Bill Hicks would be proud of. As with Hicks, Michael Moore first came to my attention about ten years ago on Channel Four TV. Moore had a series (“TV Nation”) which investigated various scandals in the UK and the US and probably got my attention because such programmes were (and remain) rare on British TV. Moore does have his faults (for instance, that interview with Charlton Heston in “Bowling for Columbine” is embarrassing) but who else is getting English speaking Westerners to question the status quo on such a popular scale?

    Mel stated September 5th 2004:

    > Never heard of Bill Hicks, but if he can match or
    > exceed Stephen Wright, I'm interested.

    Ant McWatt comments:

    Mel, check out:

    http://www.sacredcow.com/allnew/index_content.php?n=multimedia_audio_bill

    which has a number of various audio clips.

    The first audio clip (a radio interview from Hick’s visit to the Edinburgh Festival in 1992) is probably a good start. He was a much better comedian than singer so I’d initially ignore the songs clips.

    Best wishes,

    Anthony.

    www.anthonymcwatt.co.uk

    “The responsibility of the intellectual is to expose lies”.

    Bill Hicks quoted from GQ magazine, October 2000.