Re: MD Evolution

From: Robert Eckert (rgeckert@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 00:07:32 BST

    DM, list,

    I am currently reading _Perfect Planet, Clever Species: How Unique Are We?_ (2003) by William C. Burger, Curator Emeritus, Field Museum of Natural History.

    This book covers the time span you speak to. It is striking just how peculiar and lucky we as a species are, to be on such a planet and in this cognitive position to contemplate ourselves. It seems modern human beings would not have evolved were it not for, among other innumerable chance events, the occasional comet strike.

    Robert Eckert

    David Morey <us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    Geoffrey Read writes, (Pirsig couldn't put it better himself:)

    "When some of the debris circling a nascent sun coalesced to form plant
    earth the most
    experientially advanced organism upon it was a molecule. Today, some 4.5
    billion years
    later, it is a human being."

    Comments?
    DM