RE: MD On Faith

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 23:02:29 BST

    Hi Chuck, Scott, All

    > I ran across this this morning while reading LILA.
    >
    > >From Chapter 17, pg. 254-255:
    >
    > "It's ironic that although the philosophy of science leaves no room for any
    > undefined Dynamic activity, it's science's unique organization for the
    > handling of the Dynamic that gives it its superiority. Science supercedes
    > old religious forms, not because what it says is more true in any absolute
    > sense (whatever that is), but because what it says is more Dynamic.
    >
    > If scientists had simply said Copernicus was right and Ptolemy was wrong
    > without any willingness to further investigate the subject, then science
    > would have simply become another religious creed. But Scientific truth has
    > always contained an overwhelming difference from theological truth: it is
    > provisional. Science always contains an eraser, a mechanism whereby new
    > Dynamic insight could wipe out old static patterns without destroying
    > science itself. Thus science, unlike orthodox theology, has been capable
    > of continuous, evolutionary growth. As Phaedrus had written on one of his
    > slips, "The pencil is mightier than the pen."
    >
    > Seemed pertinent to the conversation.

    As Scott as pointed out several times, orthodox theology has evolved over
    the years in light of new knowledge. But, it's faith in a spiritual
    presence hasn't changed from the beginning. Similarly, science has evolved
    in the light of new knowledge. But it's faith in naturalism hasn't changed
    from the beginning. It will not allow an unmeasurable creative power, like
    DQ, into it's explanations.

    Platt