RE: MD On Faith

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 03:07:25 BST

    Scott Roberts said:
    Modern, thinking Christians are much closer to our side in the battle
    between the social and intellectual levels than on theirs. ...The dispute is
    between those Christians who agree with you and those who do not. The former
    are saying just what you are saying, that these sorts of beliefs are a
    residue of a mythological past, and should be jettisoned, or in some cases
    only treated symbolically. ...I wouldn't try to discuss philosophy with a
    fundamentalist Christian. But it is possible with, say, theologians like
    Lonergan, Rahner, Tillich, Tracy, Cupitt, and so forth. They know all about
    the demands of evidence and logical consistency.

    dmb says:
    I'll ask you the same thing I ask everyone, can't you bring me some actual
    quotes from these guys? Can you actually make a case that faith and theism
    is consistent with philosophical mysticism and the demands of empirical
    evidence? You'll forgive me if I'm skeptical, ok? I think you have to be
    using all those key words (faith, theism and mysticism) in ways that are
    used inside the church and make no sense to those of us who speak english.
    Make a case. Tell me what's good about it. If the evolution of humanity were
    like a freeway, religion is the guy driving slow in the fast lane, clogging
    everything up for everybody else. I mean, even if there are more thinkers
    than I thought, aren't we really talking about a pathetic salvage project
    rather than anything genuinely needed? Go ahead, I'm listening.