Re: MD On Faith

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 21:02:33 BST

    Hi Scott, Erin,

    On 27 Oct 2004 at 11:13, Scott Roberts wrote:
    Scott:] And so on. I think Pirsig's point is that *everyone*
    experiences value, just as everyone (except those with
    disabilities)sees, hears, touches, etc. So you might say that there
    is a "sense" of value. This is what entitles value to be treated as
    empirical, and usable to make metaphysical points. This does not, of
    course, imply that everyone values the same things, but the purpose
    of the MOQ is to show that we can find some general rules for what
    is more valuable than what, even if these rules do not decide every
    issue.

    msh says:
    Agreed. Though I would add that people often fail to see the value
    in valuable things for a variety of reasons, one of the most common
    being discomfort with the unfamiliar. Though we often appear to be
    far apart in our value estimations, we need not be. If everyone's
    ground of experience was equally broad I'd expect the discrepancies
    to all but disappear. We share a common humanity, after all.

    Best to all,
    msh
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'