Re: MD Absolutely objective

From: jhmau (jhmau@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 23:12:49 GMT

    On 21 January 8:19 PM "Matt the Enraged Endorphin" writes:

    Hi Matt

     Joe,

     Jonathan said:
     My position is embodied by the one-liner TRUE IS AN ADJECTIVE

     Joe said:
     TRUTH is also a noun.

     Matt:
    The slogan "'Truth' is an adjective" is a pragmatist slogan, one that can
    also be put as "Truth is the property of a sentence." The idea is that the
     pragmatist wants to eschew the idea that Truth is also a noun. For us it
     is not. Its not an object "out there" waiting to be replicated or
     represented properly or aimed at or anything. "True" is simply the
     property we apply to sentences that cohere to other sentences that we call
     "true."

     There are enormous implications for this on Pirsig, one I hadn't thought of
     until a couple days ago and Joe kindly reminded me of: for pragmatists,
     "good" is also an adjective. This does dire things to the end of Lila. I
     have yet to tease apart all the relevant passages, but it makes one think.

     Matt

    joe: I suggest that "everyone has an individual fingerprint" comes before
    pragmatism which I know little about save for what you tell me. Your work
    has been inspiring! I have questions. Do I accept that everyone's pattern
    "truth" is also individual? I don't know what it means that "true" is a
    property we apply to sentences that cohere to other sentences. Is the
    "cohere" stickiness integral to the sentences, or is it an outside
    instinctive stickiness? I imagine it is a choice that the property of the
    sentences is "true." Is the theory of knowledge by which the true is
    identified as individually different as each one's fingerprint?

    The story of the Tower of Babel starts with everyone speaking the same
    language. A different story from the same place indicates that it is not
    good for man to be alone. Where did these ideas come from? Ignorance?
    Individuality? A part of a story tradition? For the pragmatist, must all
    stories be retold? Did SOM influence the pragmatist tradition? You
    indicate that Persig has a foot on two traditions. Is this from his
    emphasis on an instinctive sensing creating experience placing him in a
    third tradition?

    Joe