Re: ID, again (was Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic)

From: Joseph Maurer (jhmau@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 21:45:27 GMT

    On Wednesday 16 February 2005 3:25 PM Scott writes to Paul:

    Scott:
    By "semiotic" I am thnking of Peirce's Thirdness, a triadic relation of
    interpretant, sign, and referent. Peirce argues that such a relation cannot
    be built out of Seconds or Firsts (a Second is a collision or contact
    between two objects, an action/reaction, a First is a quale, in the
    philosophical sense, e.g., an experience of redness). Since it cannot be
    reduced to Secondness and Firstness, either one must accept dualism or we
    can conclude that Seconds and Firsts are not in actuality isolated, that is,
    there is a Thirdness involved, but not recognized as such. SOM arose when
    sense perception was seen as Firsts and Seconds only.

    My claim that everything is semiotic does not depend solely on Peirce, by
    the way, but his phenomenological classification does help to make clear
    what is meant be "semiotic". As to your questions, a sign stands for
    something else, but only if there is an interpretant. The sign moves the
    interpretant to the object, which is another sign. So, no, the something
    else is not a Kantian noumenon. What is akin to Kant's noumenon is the
    universal. A sign event always involves a universal, which is what directs
    the interpretant's motion. For human language this is obvious. For the rest
    of existence, another name for "universal" is "static pattern of value". Two
    molecules that bump into each other do so because they are following a
    pattern, what we call a physical law, which also determines what happens as
    a consequence of the bump. That bump manifests the pattern. If we say that
    there is value involved (which I do), then there must be awareness of value,
    that is, that bumping event is a particular manifestation of the static
    pattern of value, and that manifestation -- the connection of the particular
    to the universal, is awareness -- it is the meaning of the bump, and
    "meaning" is another word for "value".
    I am not saying that the molecule itself is an interpretant. Our picture of
    molecules moving in the void, and the assumption that that is all that is
    going on, is a SOM picture, and we don't have a "true" picture. Maybe nature
    mystics do.

    Hi Scott, Paul and all,

    Scott, your thinking on 'semiotic' is very interesting. I am not familiar
    with Pierce so I use his words as I understand your thought. You use
    "Peirce's Thirdness, a triadic relation of interpretant, sign, and referent"
    as a springboard to your thought on 'semiotic'.

    I apply interpretant, sign, and referent to a sentient aware of an
    individual amoeba of the organic level. The referent is DQ organic level.
    The sign is the word or SQ Amoeba. The interpretant is obscure. Hindu
    'reincarnation' might be used as interpretant in that I have been here
    before.

    IMO Another way of looking at 'interpretant' is suggested by Gurdjieff.
    Without describing evolution he divides matter into two kinds. He creates
    his own words. He wrote in Russian and I expect some of his words are
    untranslatable. One matter he calls Etherokrilno. Then there is another kind
    of matter he calls Okidanokh. I have no reason to think he was describing
    two universes. Omnipresent Okidanokh is unusual in that in the presence of a
    higher level it separates into its three component forces. In the removal of
    a higher level it reverts back to its original manifestation. The relative
    combination of these three forces creates all the matter we know. This is
    the basis of his description of the law of three. Everything is composed of
    three forces. The interpretant then becomes a force which divides Okidanokh.
    As I read your statement, I would assume that the created awareness of the
    individual would be an interpretant.

    Fantastic! (Or fantasy!)

    Joe