MD Re: Pirsig Institutionalized, part I, part II

From: Joseph Maurer (jhmau@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 21:29:39 GMT

    Hi Matt:

    I want to say a couple of things about 'Pirsig Institutionalized I & II'. My initial response to 'part I' was well said in a different context by Ian, "you have to break the eggs to make an omelet". I have no trouble with an initial antiauthoritarianism, or antidisestablishmentarianism.

    My response to II was colored by something I read in Gurdjieff. His view of why the League of Nations would be ineffective in stopping war: "The chief manifestation of just this psychic-organic need of theirs consists in this, that each of them must always of necessity as they say 'teach others sense,' or 'put them on the right road'"

    I have no doubt Pirsig is afflicted with this 'psychic-organic need'. I cannot escape it either. Thank you for pointing it out in Pirsig.

    Joe