RE: MD the sam/dmb argument, part 47

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 00:45:17 GMT

    Sam and anyone interested:

    Sam said to dmb:
    But what exactly are we arguing about? Surely you've not just discovered
    your sensitive side and are grumbling that I've discovered my rude side? I'm

    sincerely interested in how to 'crack' our dialogue, coz so often we talk
    past each other. I had thought we'd made a bit of progress in that you
    seemed to accept that Christian mysticism was different to philosophical
    mysticism, but now you seem to be backtracking on that. So, which bit of our

    discussion are you most interested in revisiting?

    dmb says:
    I'm fine with starting a new thread, but you nixed all references to the
    original post and so I don't even know what you're responding to here. In
    any case, its not a matter of my "accepting" the difference between
    philosophical mysticism and Christian mysticism. As I understand it, the
    problem is that I've been talking about one while you've been talking about
    the other. That's what talking PAST each other is all about - at least in
    this case. I mean, how many times have I expressed the hope that someday we
    will actually be on the same topic and talking about the same thing? Lots of
    times. Not only that, you seem to be in the business of asserting that
    philosophical mysticism is some kind of fraud or something. This is certain
    to result in talking past each other, don't you think?

    Sam asked dmb to look at some options:
    Option #1. Philosophical mysticism is 'Jamesian' (aka SOM). This is where I
    need to answer your assertion that what James is doing is what Plotinus was
    doing.

    dmb says:
    Right. You've never given a response to this. And of course it is not just
    Plotinus. Your assertion is very easily defeated by simply providing
    examples of philosophical mystics that are not Jamesian. We can go East, we
    can go back to a time long before James and we can find out what
    contemporary philosophical mystics think of the Ancients, the East and
    James. There are a gazillion examples and lots of thinkers who are happy to
    point them out. Frankly, I think you should have admitted defeat on this
    point long ago.

    Sam's option #2:
    Philosophical mysticism is present in all world religions, rather than
    brought in by the intellectual assumptions of the observer.

    dmb says:
    So I'm saying its in the object but you're saying its in the subject? Nice
    try, pal, but that ain't it at all. We are simply talking about an
    experience that has been reported widely and in many ways. And the
    suggestion that the perennial philosophy is some kind of bogus projection is
    just too vague to be taken seriously. It's not much different than saying,
    "Oh, you just feel that way because you're crabby". Its condescending,
    dismissive and generally begs the question. Besides, as I already mentioned,
    there is an avalanche of examples to cite as evidence and a host of thinkers
    that have yet to be seriously disputed; Campbell, Smith, Wilber, Northrop,
    Huxley, etc. One could spend a lifetime and still fail to finish such an
    inquiry. But if you'd care to get specific...

    Sam's option #3:
    My interest in the MoQ is illegitimate because there is no correspondence
    between Christianity and the MoQ. (Which contradicts 2 I think - but hey,
    who cares about consistency these days?)

    dmb says:
    I'd go further than simply asserting that there is no correspondence between
    the MOQ and your christianity. I'd say the MOQ is OPPOSED to your brand of
    christianity. Your interest in the MOQ is one thing, but the validity of
    trying to fuse it with your faith is quite another. I don't know if
    "illegitimate" is the word for it, however. It seems to me that you're
    trying to fit an anti-mystical theism into an anti-theistic mysticism. This
    is what's promted my repeated complaints about putting square pegs into
    round holes. If I had to pick a word, I guess I'd just call it "wrong".

    Sam's option #4:
    The status of the ego as an illusion, or whether there is something as
    real as an 'apple' there, and how that fits in to a metaphysics.

    dmb says:
    As I understand it, we can't reject SOM and still hold onto the ego self
    they way you are. And as I've pointed out more than once, the idea of self
    as an illusion is not to be construed to mean that you are just a
    hallucination or a mirage. Your ego is very real, as real as any static
    patterns. Its your little self and you need it. The illusion comes in
    thinking that this little "subjective" self is THEE self. And this sense of
    the self is consistent with the mystical view, but strikes horror in the
    hearts of theists. This is part of the same problem. Seems I recall that you
    recently made a distinction between this ego-self and your idea of
    individuality. But I would remind you that my complaints about this ego-self
    is directly aimed at your assertions on individuality. Let's not talk past
    each other on something so simple, eh? I'm talking about the everyday
    self-consciousness that we all know. Some people and cultures might be more
    individualistic than others, but we are only talking about normal
    consciousness and our ordinary sense of self. When I say "Ego-self" it is
    not just some adolescent complaint about arrogance or excessive pride.
    Humility usually makes it grow. No, I'm talking about the self that fears
    death. I'm talking about something that can't be fixed as easily as mere
    hubris.

    I wonder if that helps.