MD Creativity and Philosophology, 2

From: Matt Kundert (pirsigaffliction@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 18:56:51 BST

    The second part,

    Robin and David suggest more or less the same reading of the
    philosophy/philosophology distinction as Steve. Robin initially said that a
    philosopher is anyone “that does not blindly follow the ‘truths’ found by
    someone before him.” Robin has since capitulated on that view for reasons
    similar to those I offered above. Robin said that a philosophologist is
    someone who uses static patterns to combat static patterns, while a
    philosopher is someone who “uses his own dynamic/creative beliefs and
    experiences to create a new philosophy or to identify with an existing one.”
      Robin said she noticed the contradiction here. The problem, I think, is
    the same one I pointed out with Steve and the exultation of the “internal
    struggle that creates Quality.” Beliefs are static patterns, and so the
    apparent contradiction in Robin’s formulation. But if we accept that our
    beliefs are static patterns, and that most of our lives are static, but it
    is the interplay of warring static patterns that breeds Dynamic creativeness
    (as in my description of how new arguments are born), I think we can see how
    creativeness should be praised. I think this formulation also pays better
    homage to Pirsig’s description of static latching, where Dynamic innovations
    move us to a higher plateau of Quality, but then become crusted over as they
    become old, and eventually become thrown away as new Dynamic innovations are
    created on the shoulders of the old ones. As Dewey would say, the bad is
    simply a discarded good.

    But if we accept these views of creativity, I think we’ve left the
    philosopher/philosophologist distinction behind. As Erin has said, the
    application to cases makes the whole thing very blurry. The reason is
    because the distinction is supposed to be for deciding who is and isn’t a
    philosopher and it isn’t completely clear how creativity plays into it. If
    the distinction just breaks down into a distinction between originality and
    unoriginality, why have the philosopher/philosophologist distinction when we
    already have the originality/unoriginality distinction? The reason for the
    confusion is because Pirsig builds the distinction around two descriptors,
    not one. “Creative” is on the “philosopher” side of the distinction, but so
    is “inattentive to history.” The second descriptor gives us an easy basis
    for applying the distinction (“Does he pay attention to the history of
    philosophy?”), but the first descriptor is the term of approbation. Pirsig
    conflates “creativity” with “inattention to history” to create an easy way
    to apply the distinction and a reason to. Without the creativity
    descriptor, people would begin to wonder what’s wrong with reading history.
    But with the creativity descriptor, we have our reason: because you’re not
    being creative or original.

    However, my argument has been (among others) that the original/unoriginal
    distinction cuts _across_ the historical/unhistorical distinction. But this
    equivocation in our description of the philosophy/philosophology distinction
    is what leads David to first say, “philosophology is when the writing is
    very static and offers nothing original,” but then to add, “but that's not
    to say there is zero creativity in philosophologists.” This equivocation is
    bred because of the way Pirsig constructs the distinction. So when Robin
    asks, “Would you say either role (philosophologer or philosopher) is morally
    better than the other, and on which basis?” the only reason we may scratch
    our head a little and wonder is because of Pirsig’s conflation. If you want
    to emphasize creativity, you’ll say that philosophers are better. If you
    want to emphasize the fun and bonuses of reading history, you’ll deny that
    one is better than the other. What we have to remember, though, is that for
    Pirsig, the distinction was created to distinguish real from fake
    philosophers. And real philosophers are creative and inattentive to
    history, though it is unclear how Pirsig sees the two descriptors being
    related. The only thing I can figure is that he thinks people who know less
    about history are more likely to be creative, much like the baby who smiles
    in wonder at everything because she’s experiencing everything for the first
    time. But should we really expect the baby to make significant innovations
    in philosophy?

    I’d like to leave this for the moment to rephrase my argument to perhaps
    make it more clear. I think people are confused about my argument because
    they think I’m arguing that historically-conscious philosophers
    (specifically philosophers steeped in the history of philosophy) are the
    real philosophers. This isn’t true. My argument is that Pirsig’s
    distinction _forces_ us to decide who the real philosophers are, when the
    spirit of his philosophy tells us that we _shouldn’t_ decide. Because of
    the peculiar thing philosophy is, gathering wisdom and seeing how things
    hang together, there is no way to pin down philosophy except for parochial
    reasons of expediency because there is so much wisdom to be had because
    there are so many _things_ to be hung together. You can’t cut a distinction
    between history and substance because there is no substance outside of our
    mostly unconscious, educative reception of the history of humankind. If you
    do pin down a substance (as you’ll have to), it will be for parochial,
    expedient reasons, i.e. personal reasons, based on the type of wisdom you
    want to generate, the types of things you want to hang together. My focus
    (or “substance”) has been on the history of Western philosophy because those
    are the things I want to hang together. What I’m not doing is saying that
    what I do makes me a real philosopher. We are all real philosophers.

    Pirsig’s emphasis on personal creativity comes from Pirsig’s love of genius.
      He wants us all to try and overcome ourselves, i.e. overcome our inherited
    static patterns, our inherited “train of collective consciousness.” This is
    the theme that resonates so strongly with the existentialist theme of
    “authenticity.” To become authentic is to engage in a Nietzschean project
    of self-overcoming in which we, in Nietzsche’s words, “become who we are.”
    But I don’t think this love of genius is motivated simply by the personal
    need to be authentic. Throughout Pirsig’s works he’s trying to help us out
    of the spiritual crisis of our age. I think Pirsig’s emphasis on
    creativity, genius, _Dynamic Quality_ stems from his recognition that
    humanity’s geniuses are the ones who have created who we all are, that,
    following Shelley, poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
    Pirsig wants us all to reach for this creative genius, reach for Dynamic
    Quality, and he wants us to do so, not simply to be unlike anybody else who
    has ever been, but because it will raise humanity to a higher plateau. This
    is where I think Pirsig’s claim that we _need_ both static and Dynamic
    Quality is important. Humanity’s train is static patterns of Quality and we
    need brujos to expand the train, to help us all become better. But,
    contrary to the way Pirsig sometimes writes, I do not think there is any
    point in saying that it is better to be a brujo than an underlaborer. We
    need both to move the train along.

    Matt