RE: MD Creativity and Philosophology, 2

From: Robin Brouwer (rsbrouwer@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 10:56:12 BST

    Hi Matt and everyone.

    I feel your last post has cleared a lot of things up, I especially liked the
    following quote:

    "Because of the peculiar thing philosophy is, gathering wisdom and seeing
    how things hang together, there is no way to pin down philosophy except for
    parochial reasons of expediency because there is so much wisdom to be had
    because there are so many _things_ to be hung together."

    So perhaps we can do is pin down the word is use our own subjective value
    perception toward the word.

    I think we have all consciously or unconsciously valued both the
    philosophologer and philospopher, and having done so we have actually been
    talking about our individual perceived quality in a philosophologer and
    philosopher.
    The people that have a great static knowledge of historical philosophy see a
    philosopher as someone that uses all his static knowledge to form dynamic
    links and new creative ideas.
    The people that have read less historical philosophy will probably say that
    a philosopher is someone that uses its own dynamic ability and creativity to
    form ideas.
    Since Pirsig gave the word philosophologer a certain negative static value,
    each of us will try and see themselves as a philosopher.

    Another quote:
    "But should we really expect the baby to make significant
    innovations in philosophy?"

    I don't think we should, however if there was a way to have an infant
    understand what Pirsig ment in his distinction between philosophologer and
    philosopher, then the child would probably say that you don't need any books
    to be a philosopher.

    I think we can only make a distinction between good and bad philosophers
    using our own subjective values.
    However we can make a distinction between good and bad philosophologers
    based on "science" or "history" or even "method".

    Robin

    p.s. as a last quote:
    " Robin said she noticed the contradiction here. "

    Robin is actually a boy :)

    >From: "Matt Kundert" <pirsigaffliction@hotmail.com>
    >To: moq_discuss@moq.org
    >Subject: MD Creativity and Philosophology, 2
    >Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:56:51 -0500
    >
    >The second part,
    >
    >Robin and David suggest more or less the same reading of the
    >philosophy/philosophology distinction as Steve. Robin initially said that
    >a philosopher is anyone “that does not blindly follow the ‘truths’ found by
    >someone before him.” Robin has since capitulated on that view for reasons
    >similar to those I offered above. Robin said that a philosophologist is
    >someone who uses static patterns to combat static patterns, while a
    >philosopher is someone who “uses his own dynamic/creative beliefs and
    >experiences to create a new philosophy or to identify with an existing
    >one.” Robin said she noticed the contradiction here. The problem, I
    >think, is the same one I pointed out with Steve and the exultation of the
    >“internal struggle that creates Quality.” Beliefs are static patterns, and
    >so the apparent contradiction in Robin’s formulation. But if we accept
    >that our beliefs are static patterns, and that most of our lives are
    >static, but it is the interplay of warring static patterns that breeds
    >Dynamic creativeness (as in my description of how new arguments are born),
    >I think we can see how creativeness should be praised. I think this
    >formulation also pays better homage to Pirsig’s description of static
    >latching, where Dynamic innovations move us to a higher plateau of Quality,
    >but then become crusted over as they become old, and eventually become
    >thrown away as new Dynamic innovations are created on the shoulders of the
    >old ones. As Dewey would say, the bad is simply a discarded good.
    >
    >But if we accept these views of creativity, I think we’ve left the
    >philosopher/philosophologist distinction behind. As Erin has said, the
    >application to cases makes the whole thing very blurry. The reason is
    >because the distinction is supposed to be for deciding who is and isn’t a
    >philosopher and it isn’t completely clear how creativity plays into it. If
    >the distinction just breaks down into a distinction between originality and
    >unoriginality, why have the philosopher/philosophologist distinction when
    >we already have the originality/unoriginality distinction? The reason for
    >the confusion is because Pirsig builds the distinction around two
    >descriptors, not one. “Creative” is on the “philosopher” side of the
    >distinction, but so is “inattentive to history.” The second descriptor
    >gives us an easy basis for applying the distinction (“Does he pay attention
    >to the history of philosophy?”), but the first descriptor is the term of
    >approbation. Pirsig conflates “creativity” with “inattention to history”
    >to create an easy way to apply the distinction and a reason to. Without
    >the creativity descriptor, people would begin to wonder what’s wrong with
> [...]

    Nooit ongewenste berichten ontvangen: gebruik MSN Messenger
    http://messenger.msn.nl/