RE: MD Creativity and Philosophology, 2

From: Robin Brouwer (rsbrouwer@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 18:49:20 BST

    Hi Matt,

    To first quote you:

    " The third is if it still has an historical connotation, then I want to
    know why we should replace "intellectual historian" with "philosophologist."
    "

    We don't really need to change the word I guess, although I think that since
    Pirsig was not a big fan of "intellectual historians" he might have chosen
    to give them a new pet name.
    If the discussion was about just the word we would not need to examine it
    very deep i think.

    However the distinction Pirsig makes between philosophers and
    philosophologers and might be the same distinction many see between the
    Sophists and Socrates.
    The Sophist believed that truth could only be found wthin oneself and that
    each person had his or her own truth. There was thus no use for listening to
    others to find any truth, it was only usefull because it was interesting and
    fun, but truth was still to be found wthin oneself and not within someone
    else.
    Socrates believed in a universal truth only known by gods in total, but
    those truths sometimes showed their faces in discussion and within the
    similarities of ideas and opinions of the many speakers.
    For socrates reading books of other people was usefull since it might show
    common ground for the reader and thus perhaps a piece of truth.
    For sophists reading a book was only for fun or perhaps out of interest, but
    not in any way to find out a universal truth since they did not believe in
    one.
    Both are registered in our current system as philosophers, but they surely
    have a different way of going about things.

    Its been a while since I read Pheadrus and Socrates's discussion, but in
    that we might find why Pirsig chose to make the distinction.

    Regards Robin.

    MSN Webmessenger doet het altijd en overal http://webmessenger.msn.com/