RE: MD Creativity and Philosophology, 2

From: Matt Kundert (pirsigaffliction@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 16 2005 - 17:37:32 BST

    Robin,

    Robin said:
    If we would now look at the current philosophers we can see that some
    present their ideas as a universal truth, mostly based on history and by
    quoting persons that bear authority in a certain field.

    Matt:
    Actually, I think you have it backwards again. The major turn away from
    (human) authority was the Cartesian turn in the 17th century. To get away
    from scholastic problems that the Christian philosophers were focused on,
    Descartes focused his attention completely on the ability of ascertaining
    episteme, or complete certainty. To do this, he created his famous method
    of doubt. This was to have the effect of enshrining epistemology as the
    first field of philosophy since we must now have some method of gaining
    absolute certainty before making any metaphysical claims (or just claims).
    Its precursor is Plato's dialectic. Descartes set the motif for modern
    philosophy by (supposedly) draining away all history from his epistemology:
    it was a method that relied nothing upon previous beliefs.

    We can see this motif running all the way into the 21st century. The
    universalists (who you would call philosophologists) want a dehistoricized
    method to achieve some sort of certainty and the historicists don't think
    such a method possible. Now, the _writing style_ of either party cuts
    _across_ the historicist/universalist distinction. You can find people in
    both camps for the most part. Jurgen Habermas would count as a
    universalist, but he has one of the keenest eyes towards history. Donald
    Davidson wrote very technical, history-depleted articles, but he busted some
    of the most major universalist resurgencies in the philosophy of language.

    This is why I don't think we can resurrect the philosopher/philosophologist
    distinction around either a focus on writing style or originality. Those
    things cut across our cross-section of philosophers. There's (almost) no
    way a philosopher would make it very far if they didn't "believe that there
    idea has a high value, but they are open to the ideas of others because
    through conversation a new idea of possibly even higher value might be
    formed." All good, honest philosophers want to find the best ideas. But
    being conversable, again, cuts across our selection.

    I think authority cuts across universalism and historicism, too. For the
    universalists, the thing that confers authority is the universal truth (that
    we have to somehow find). For historicists, the thing that confers
    authority are good, honest conversationalists and inquirers, i.e. other
    people. This is why historicists, like the Sophists, think conversation is
    so important because the only way to gain authority is to gain assent from
    your fellow humankind. The more convergence upon an idea (like "gravity"),
    the more authority that idea with have. But that doesn't mean these ideas
    aren't revisable. The authority isn't there by fiat, it is there by
    argumentation, it is there for specific _reasons_. If you can give reasons
    and arguments for conferring authority on a different idea (like a
    "spacetime continuum"), then your idea will supercede the old one.
    Universalists function the same way in practice, but they think the
    authority being conferred is because the new idea is closer to the Universal
    Truth.

    Your main move, though, was to shift focus away from writing style and
    originality to universal/static truth v. "dynamic truth." I don't think
    this works either. For one, I do think it moves us further away from
    Pirsig's position, insofar as the philosopher/philosophologist distinction
    is concerned. I'm not sure there's much textual evidence to support your
    claim via the philosophologist issue, though your interpretive device
    (linking universal with static and historicist with dynamic) in general does
    have initial plausibility and provocativeness. But still, I think the issue
    of whether the philosopher's self-image has him looking for universal truth
    or "dynamic truth" cuts across whether he writes with an eye towards history
    and/or is creative and original. The problem is the practice of these
    philosophers. In practice, even if a philosopher believes in a Universal
    Truth that will be found by a Universal Method, he will follow his nose
    along the path that will (God-willing) lead him there. The problem is that,
    despite what some people will tell you, philosophy has changed a bit since
    Socrates and Parmenides and almost all of the "important" philosophers
    believed in a Truth to be found by a Method. And yet philosophy has still
    morphed into what it is today. Philosophers followed their noses, which, I
    would think, is as good a description of dynamic truth as you'd need.

    Matt