Re: MD Access to Quality

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 04:07:02 BST

    A reply in two parts
    To Platt / Matt, then
    To Erin / Scott / Ham ...

    Firstly, Platt, your subjects are the "pointless debate" to which I
    was referring. Matt's succint response is all that need be said. When
    you ask "What's your point ?" I believe Matt's point (as was mine) was
    precisely to point out that this line of debate is pointless. The
    points you make say nothing about their subjects, but probably
    something about you. No logical argument is going to find any causal
    explanations "why" for the outcomes of a whole human life - Einstein,
    FDR or Darwin. Life's too complicated. Get it ?

    Secondly, the meat of the matter. Erin / Scott / Ham, if you're game,
    I think we have something to discuss. Scott, you made a lot of points
    in your long response, I can't address them all at once (but we may
    get there, eventually) ... so I'll cherry-pick my key issues ...

    Erin, the "two realms" was not something I wanted to introduce. I was
    simply referring to the fact that Scott was (seemed to be) dividing
    the real world into areas where science was "valid" and areas where
    religion / aesthetics et al were applicable, and by implication,
    science not.

    Scott, I don't know what scientism is.
    I'm a "physicalist" I think. (What would once have been characterised
    as a "materialist" in older times before new-physics proved to be so
    awesome - Platt - there's a lot more to physics than material /
    matter.)
    The whole world is "the real world".
    Physics (by axiomatic definition of the word) describes the real
    world. All of it.
    Anywhere where physics does not currently have accepted explanations,
    are simply "gaps in knowledge".

    Pause for breath.
    Is Ian completely mad ?

    The difference between my "faith" in physics and a religious "faith"
    in a divine (causal) being / intelligence, lies in the nature of
    explanation it provides. Religion provides none, except where it
    disingenuously invokes primitive or mis-placed "scientific" causal
    evidence to support its arguments.
    (Which isn't to say religion doesn't have a place in the world - but
    that's another story.)

    Despite being a "physicalist", I am a spiritual person. Zen / MoQ are
    part of the real world; whatever it is we use the "spirit" metaphor
    for is also part of the real world.. That's why I'm here. For example,
    I do in fact believe that intelligence and consciousness beyond the
    confines of individual brains (or minds) will turn out to be real -
    explainable by physics. I do not believe space-time is a "product" of
    our consciousness - though all the metaphors we use clearly are.
    Consciousness is just as much a part of physics as space and time.
    (See definition of physics)

    More specifically Scott, you're right, doubt is part of religion too.
    As I say, the difference is in how physics EXPLAINS the areas of
    uncertainty, and the "known" areas up to such wooly boundaries - the
    reasons for the uncertainty itself.

    So, no I do not recognise any limits to science (physics) whatsoever.
    (Good science, high-quality science that is, not just any old
    science). But I do not see that belief as "dogmatic" either. It's a
    matter of choosing what to believe based on the "Quality" of the
    explanation. (Of course having a good explanation of the physics, does
    not mean science is necessarily the most useful model for making
    decisions and causal predictions in the real world - there we need to
    understand the levels in play - in the MoQ sense if we like.)

    Before leaping back up to some complex political / aesthetic levels of
    examples, to question what I believe, can we stick down in these weeds
    for a bit :-) and build from there. Re-introduce your questions one at
    a time Scott - if I'm not satisfying you.

    OK - a test.
    Q. What is Ian's main point ?

    Regards
    Ian

    PS
    A. Explanation. What constitutes a quality explanation.