Re: MD Access to Quality

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 16:42:07 BST

    Erin, in reply I say ...

    No I'm not introducing two realms - I'm saying there is only one - I
    was arguing against Scott's (implied) assertion of two realms - one
    where science is valid and one where it isn't. On the contrary, I say
    there is one realm, called the whole (real) world. (BTW - whilst I see
    the world as a whiole where physics is entirely valid, I do of course
    see Pirsigian levels where it's value and usefulness varies, but we
    haven't got there yet in this thread.)

    Erin, you said
    It is like you (Ian) are saying that the consciousness is not real
    because science has not explained it yet. You believe they will
    explain it one day but this belief is not faith in science because of
    its good explantion which is errrr "a gap in knowledge"

    I say, I'm saying absolutely nothing of the kind.
    The fact that you see fit to paraphrase / caricature what science says
    that way is the kind of thing that drives me nuts, particularly
    slipping in those causal "becauses". Life's too complicated for pat
    logic to explain anything so complex in a couple of syllogisms. Anyway
    in the interest of making some progress, what I said was ...
    (1) Consciousness "is as real as anything else" in this real world.
    (2) Science / physics cannot yet provide a complete explanation (of
    consciousness and a lot more besides) that would be considered
    accepted.
    (3) "It's a gap" is not an explanation in mine or anyone else's
    language, it's just a statement, an assertion only, as are the two
    previous points. (No neat thus, therefore or because here. Read
    "Cornflowers")
    (4) I didn't say the gaps in knowledge weren't "explainable" by
    physics - I said they were currently "not explained" adequately by
    physics. Given "good" science's track record, I as yet see no reason
    to doubt that physics will continue to chip away at the gaps in this
    one physical world. Meantime, I can sleep at night.
    (5) The reason I have "belief" in physics rather than "faith" in
    something "supernatural" is because of the way physics explains what
    it does "know" and the boundaries of what it can't yet know with much
    certainty. (Nothing in these mails gives you those explanations yet -
    so don't attempt to quote them back at me, 'cos I haven't said them,
    yet.)

    If we don't get some firm footing to work from - some working
    assertions we can agree on - it may not be worth the effort. In the
    meantime - I did recently (excitedly)recommend David Deutsch as the
    scientists scientist, who most recently articulated what is a good
    scientific explanation. His explantion still has snags, and always
    will have IMHO until something like Pisrigian Quality the MoQ's levels
    of value get taken on board - but I'm not in a hurry. Really ? :-)

    Ian
    PS - Interestingly, when I started this quest, I was extremely "anti"
    science. At least I thought I was. It turns out I was
    anti-logical-positivism, and the caricature of scientific method that
    get's bandied around in the meme pool.

    "The problem with the meme pool is there's no life-guard"
    With acknowledgement to Steven Wright.