Re: MD Quality and the Nuremberg-Tokyo Tribunals

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 30 2005 - 17:26:02 BST

    Mark, Ant and all ...
    Obviously the morals of politics are closely related to any good
    philosphy - the last two posts on my blog have been about ethics and
    morals at high (boardroom) levels of decsion making - that's not the
    reason I shy away from it on a discussion board like this. I'm here
    because I want people in positions of power to make better decisions -
    full stop.

    The reason is that the relationship between any pragmatic philosophy
    and any decisons made using it, and the historical outcomes is so
    complex and tenuous, that it's intractable in any pragmatic causal
    sense. "Debate is useless" as the Vogon guard might say.

    What is more productive (IMHO) is to debate how a good philosophy
    might be used to affect and support good future policy and decision
    making. And to plan how to get it out there into the meme pool for
    future generations.

    But invoking historical "facts" from the macro-level of outcomes to
    support the arguments is less use than a chocolate fireguard, on an
    ashtray, on tits on a bull on a motorcycle, (if I may mix my
    metaphors). Why because those arguments are ALWAYS tainted (nay
    distorted) by the politics of the proponent, in ways that bear no
    significant causal relation to the philosophy being discussed. None
    whatsoever.

    In fact Mark, that's exactly what you current tag line about lions and
    hunters says - to me.

    Ian